24.3116, Qs: Cognitive Semanticists

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 31 16:16:15 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3116. Wed Jul 31 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3116, Qs: Cognitive Semanticists

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 12:16:01
From: Sebastien Plante [n.sebastien.plante at gmail.com]
Subject: Cognitive Semanticists

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3116.html&submissionid=18134963&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I'm a PhD student at Carleton University (Ottawa) and I'm looking to do what basically amounts to a reading unit on cognitive semantics in the fall.  The way it works, any tenured prof anywhere in the world could theoretically supervise me, though closer would be better so we could at least meet face-to-face now and then, though many such rotations in my department have been done entirely by Skype and email.

The problem is that there are very few scholars who work with semantics other than formal or type-driven semantics in the Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal corridor, and if there are any, I seem to be incapable of locating them (and with my supervisor doing field work at the moment I'm somewhat lost).

Mostly I'm just looking for information on someone who would be likely to be comfortable teaching cognitive semantics as a methodology - whether in-person or at a distance - over the upcoming fall semester to a PhD student.

Thank you kindly,
- Sebastien

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Semantics