24.2491, Disc: Linguistic Hypostasis

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 19 15:26:27 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-2491. Wed Jun 19 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.2491, Disc: Linguistic Hypostasis

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 11:26:22
From: Jan Židek [zidekja at ff.cuni.cz]
Subject: Linguistic Hypostasis

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-2491.html&submissionid=16006157&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Greetings,

I am working on a paper on the linguistic hypostasis. From what I have seen so
far, not many linguists use the term (outside Germany, at least) and those who
do, do not seem to share a single idea of what it is.

My question is:

Is there really no consensus on this matter (even in Germany) and is the term
really so obscure? Or am I just imagining it?

If there is a consensus, which work is the referential one? I have now three
in mind, but they do not seem to be referencing each other (and no text that
actually cites one of these cites any other) which would mean that there are
actually at least three different terms with intersected meanings.

Thank you.

Linguistic Field(s): Linguistic Theories