24.1329, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics, Anthropological Linguistics/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 18 15:44:08 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1329. Mon Mar 18 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1329, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics, Anthropological Linguistics/USA

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:43:26
From: Nathaniel Dumas [ndumas at linguistics.ucsb.edu]
Subject: Desire and Identity (Inter)action

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1329.html&submissionid=9701097&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Desire and Identity (Inter)action

Date: 20-Nov-2013 - 24-Nov-2013
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact Person: Mie Hiramoto
Meeting Email: ellmh at nus.edu.sg

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 23-Mar-2013

Meeting Description:

Organizer: Mie Hiramoto, National University of Singapore
Discussant: William Leap, American University

Panel Title: Desire and Identity (Inter)action: Language and Sexuality in Public Space

Ideas of desire and ideology challenge us to reconceptualize the way we understand language and social practice. This panel aims to take up this challenge by highlighting the subjective aspects of language and sexuality, particularly delving into the treatment of desire and sexuality in public space. The current conceptions of desire and ideology are often treated separately through the ‘ideology approach’ or ‘desire approach’ (see Bucholtz and Hall 2004; Cameron and Kulick 2003; Milani 2011). However, this panel takes the stance that notions of sexual desire and ideology are able to complement each other when we revisit ideas of hegemonic normativity.

The heterogeneity of linguistic and social practices, and our constant movement across different conceptual spaces in modern life play an important role in the identities that one assumes, based on the circumstances, and our assumptions about these assumed identities shapes one’s use of and response to various types of language (Blommaert 2010). Moreover, such subjectivity can shape and reshape one’s social relation to a specific space. This panel aims to reinvigorate this insight by bringing together researchers who explore the subjectivity of desire and identity in the context of language and sexuality, and seeking new ways in which we can understand the changing conditions of modern life.

Call for Papers:

I am looking for presenters to join the panel to discuss on a topic related to language, gender and sexuality as described above. Please send a 200-word abstract by March 23 to ellmh at nus.edu.sg for consideration. If you have any questions, please email me at the same address.