24.1331, Qs: Extending Sapir-Whorf and Therapy/Counseling Copora

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 18 17:54:31 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1331. Mon Mar 18 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1331, Qs: Extending Sapir-Whorf and Therapy/Counseling Copora

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:54:28
From: Kevin Yaudes [kyaudes at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1331.html&submissionid=9701099&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

In a nutshell, I'm working on some research in which I'm extending a weak
version of Sapir-Whorf, specifically Slobin's 'thinking for speaking' to the
counseling domain.  The is an assumption in many types of counseling that if
the language of the client is changed, his thoughts (about himself, others,
the world) will change as well.

Because of the sensitive and ethical nature of any counseling relationship I
don't know that I will be easily able to collect transcripts from sessions
(even if any sensitive information is redacted).  I want to submit transcripts
of various forms of corpus analysis and was wondering if anyone knew of any
corpora that contained counseling or therapy sessions.

(I've looked and looked (e.g., COCA, BNC, etc.) and gone so far to email Mark
Davies, but to no avail.)

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Psycholinguistics