24.1376, Calls: Computational Linguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics/Spain

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 21 14:52:05 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1376. Thu Mar 21 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1376, Calls: Computational Linguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics/Spain

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:51:42
From: Johannes Hellrich [johannes.hellrich at uni-jena.de]
Subject: CLEF-ER 2013 Workshop @ CLEF 2013

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1376.html&submissionid=9835001&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: CLEF-ER 2013 Workshop @ CLEF 2013

Date: 23-Sep-2013 - 26-Sep-2013
Location: Valencia, Spain
Contact Person: Johannes Hellrich
Meeting Email: johannes.hellrich at uni-jena.de
Web Site: http://www.clef2013.org/index.php?page=Pages/labs.html

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Subject Language(s): Dutch (nld)
                     English (eng)
                     French (fra)
                     German (deu)
                     Spanish (spa)

Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2013

Meeting Description:

CLEF-ER 2013: Named Entity Recognition (NER) in Parallel Multilingual Biomedical Corpora (aiming for terminology translation)

Objectives:

The workshop addresses the multilingual identification of mentions of named entities in corpora and the development of multilingual biomedical terminological resources. Relevant scientific questions are:

- Can we build multilingual biomedical terminologies from parallel biomedical corpora?
- How do we exploit machine translation methods to identify correspondences in parallel corpora?
- Do we encounter the same semantic representation in different languages?
- Can we make use of crowd-sourcing solutions to produce comprehensive terminological resources?

The workshop is related but not limited to the CLEF-ER challenge (http://www.clefer.org), where multilingual NER is performed using corpora in English, French, German, Spanish, and Dutch.  Currently patent texts, titles of Medline abstracts and EMEA documents serve as parallel corpora, and mention annotations are explicitly referenced to entities, which are specified through a Concept Unique Identifier (CUI, from the UMLS).

Organizers:

D. Rebholz-Schuhmann, F. Rinaldi, S. Clematide, Institute of Computational Linguistics, Universität Zürich (Ch)
Prof. U. Hahn, J. Hellrich, Julie Laboratory, Universität Jena (D)
J. Kors, E. van Mulligen, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam (Nl)
D. Milward, I. Lewin, Linguamatics Ltd, Cambridge (UK)
P. Daumke, M. Poprat, Averbis GmbH, Freiburg (D)
J. McEntyre, S. Kafkas, EMBL-EBI, Hinxton, Cambridge, U.K.

Call for Papers:

We ask for contributions concerning the following topics:

- Scientific manuscripts in multilingual term recognition and machine translation in the biomedical domain
- Perspective papers on multilingual term recognition in the biomedical domain for their languages
- Perspective papers on the status and prospect of ML resource for European languages in the biomedical domain, and the perspective for non-European languages
- Machine-translation solutions for solving the multi-lingual term recognition in the biomedical domain

The best contribution wins a prize, which is the waiving of publication costs in an open access journal.

Timeline:

31 March: Submission of abstracts, statements of intent
30 April: Submission of the full paper manuscripts
31 May: Review results
15 June: Submission of the final paper to the CLEF organisers

For more information, please view our website:

http://www.clef2013.org/index.php?page=Pages/labs.html