24.1439, Qs: Adult Use of Holographic Speech

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 28 13:39:51 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1439. Thu Mar 28 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1439, Qs: Adult Use of Holographic Speech

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 09:39:43
From: John Selfridge [wildhealdsburg at yahoo.com]
Subject: Adult Use of Holographic Speech

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1439.html&submissionid=10304019&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am trying to do a presentation about adults who use holographic speech as
infants do. That is, when adults use one word to convey an entire message. For
example young people will say ''dude'' and it can have several different
meanings. These meanings are dependent on the context and the non-verbal
language that go along with that word.

Most information I can find on this topic concerns speech therapy. This is not
the direction I was hoping to go. Does anyone know any resources I could hunt
down? Or maybe a different term for what it is that I am trying to research?

Thank you for any and all help.

John Selfridge
Linguistics Student

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/