24.1929, Calls: Pragmatics, Discourse Analysis, Cognitive Sci, Semantics/Belgium

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat May 4 16:26:29 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1929. Sat May 04 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1929, Calls: Pragmatics, Discourse Analysis, Cognitive Sci, Semantics/Belgium

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 12:25:42
From: Nicolas Ruytenbeek [uicm4 at ulb.ac.be]
Subject: Utterance Interpretation and Cognitive Models 4

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1929.html&submissionid=11788777&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Utterance Interpretation and Cognitive Models 4
Short Title: UICM 4

Date: 02-Sep-2013 - 03-Sep-2013
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Contact Person: Nicolas Ruytenbeek
Meeting Email: uicm4 at ulb.ac.be
Web Site: http://student.ulb.ac.be/~nruytenb/website/Projects.html

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Discourse Analysis; Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics; Semantics

Call Deadline: 17-May-2013

Meeting Description:

Utterance Interpretation and Cognitive Models 4 (UICM4)
September 2-3, 2013
Université Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium

We are happy to announce the fourth edition of the conference ‘Utterance Interpretation and Cognitive Models’ (UICM4) that will take place in Brussels on September 2-3, 2013.

For this edition we would like to focus on questions related to implicit contents in utterance interpretation. Among the different ways for a content to be implicit, we will choose as the topic of the conference pragmatic inferences, related, for instance, to non-literal and affective contents, style effects, indirect speech acts, displays of politeness (this list is, of course, not exhaustive).

The conference aims at reaching across disciplinary boundaries and bringing together researchers who take a view of interpretation that is informed by cognitive concerns. We believe that a better understanding of how utterances come to be endowed with meaning, particularly in cases where it is conveyed implicitly, calls for collaboration between various subfields of linguistics, as well as with other disciplines. We hope that the fourth conference on Utterance Interpretation and Cognitive Models will help discussing the challenging and exciting issues concerning implicit communication.

For more information about the previous edition of UICM: http://homepages.ulb.ac.be/~uicm3/

Keynote Speakers:

Elisabeth Camp (University of Pennsylvania)
Rachel Giora (University of Tel Aviv)
Raymond Gibbs (University of California, Santa Cruz)
Marina Terkourafi (University of Urbana-Champaign, Illinois)

2nd Call for Papers:

In addition to the keynote lectures, the conference will feature contributed papers. We welcome submissions of abstracts for 20-minute presentations (+ 10 minutes for questions) focusing on any aspect of the communication of implicit contents, e.g. related to issues such as the following:

- What are the theoretical problems triggered by the study of implicit meaning?
- How are we to model the processing of implicit contents? Which tools can we use to test these models, building on empirical data?
- Can we consider new methods for studying the understanding of utterances from an experimental point of view?
- Prosody is an important feature of the production of utterances. Which role(s) does it play in the interpretation of implicit contents associated with utterances?

All the contributions will be taken into account, originating from fields such as philosophy of language, psychology, linguistics, anthropology and cognitive science will be taken into account. Interdisciplinary and challenging approaches are particularly welcome.

Important Dates:

Deadline for abstracts: May 17, 2013
Notification of acceptance: June 30, 2013
Conference: September 2-3, 2013

Abstract Format:

- Only electronic submissions are accepted.
- The length of the submissions is a maximum of 500 words (references excluded).
- Each abstract should indicate the title of the talk, and provide indication of the references.
- The abstracts should be prepared for blind review, and include no indication of the name(s) of the author(s). Only anonymous abstracts will be considered.
- Abstracts should be submitted to the following email address: uicm4 at ulb.ac.be, with ‘UICM4-Submission’ as subject.
- The abstracts should be sent as an attachment to an email message, in either MS Word (.doc), Rich Text Format (.rtf) or Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) format.
- The body of the email message should contain the following information: The name(s) of the author(s), affiliation, title of the paper and email address.
- A maximum of one submission as author, and one as co-author, will be allowed.