24.1967, Calls: Translation/Germany

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 8 14:00:54 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-1967. Wed May 08 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.1967, Calls: Translation/Germany

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alison Zaharee <alison at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 09:59:55
From: Heidrun Gerzymisch [h.gerzymisch at mx.uni-saarland.de]
Subject: 16th EURO-PhD Symposium

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-1967.html&submissionid=11992056&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 16th EURO-PhD Symposium
Short Title: MuTra

Date: 14-Jun-2013 - 15-Jun-2013
Location: Saarbrücken, Germany
Contact Person: Heidrun Gerzymisch
Meeting Email: h.gerzymisch at mx.uni-saarland.de
Web Site: http://uni-saarland.de/mutra

Linguistic Field(s): Translation

Call Deadline: 30-May-2013

Meeting Description:

Translating the Image

As translators and interpreters, we are all painfully aware of the phenomenon that not everything we know, think and feel when communicating is in effect ‘sayable’ in informational terms or in a thematic assertion. Yet we do need to grasp and express individual perceptions or projections and even bodily sensations by words in different languages against different world views when we mediate communication to enable people to understand each other’s messages.

Is this possible? The theoretical answer is, of course, ‘no’. But we still practically translate every day by transferring into ‘naïve’ language from auditory, epicritical or visual domains and from temporal order into spatial organization in an effort to reach beyond the materiality of language. This ‘multidimensional translation’ typically involves questions around the axes of visibility/invisibility, loyalty/betrayal or integrity/promiscuity in the border areas of ‘untranslatibility’.

The challenges and questions that arise in such situations will be in focus during our discussions in this summer semester’s series of events, in which MuTra PhDs will discuss their dissertation projects in the light of the challenges and limits of multidimensional translation: theatre translation, audiodescription, subtitling and/or written interpretation. The formats include research seminars, roundtable talks and practical workshops. They will be digitalized and offered as freely accessible e-learning modules on the internet thanks to the support and cooperation with Professor Igel (CelTech Saarbrücken).

Our highlight will be the Übersetzergespräche 2/ Roundtable ‘Translation’: Erzählte Bilder/Translating the Image on Friday, June 14, with Bernd Benecke (Bayerischer Rundfunk, München), Jorge Diaz-Cintas (Imperial College, London),  Marguerite Donlon (Ballet Company Staatstheater Saarbrücken), Sikander Singh, (Literaturarchiv Saar-Lor-Lux) and  Ryuko Woirgardt-Kobayashi (Japanology). Those interested in modern technology and  speech-to-text translation may find it challenging to take part in the Saturday ‘written interpretation’ workshops with Birgit Nofftz (Deutscher Schriftdolmetscherverband) on June 1 and June 8.

More information is available at http://www.uni-saarland.de/mutra (Veranstaltungen SS 2013) or via email to h.gerzymisch at mx.uni-saarland.de.

Regular participation fee for external guests: 45 Euro

Call for Papers:

Interested post-graduate students are welcome to present advanced dissertation projects with a focus on translating the image and discuss their potential ‘added value’ with international colleagues in an interdisciplinary environment. All interested students and colleagues are welcome.

Abstracts of about 300 words should be sent as an email attachment giving your name, address and affiliation (plus title of dissertation and name of supervisor(s) if you wish to actively interact with the PhD group) to h.gerzymisch at mx.uni-saarland.de. The abstract should briefly state your subject area (or areas of interest) with related questionings and your methodological stance. Notification of acceptance will be within 5 working days.

The sessions will be in German and English. Languages spoken are English, German, Spanish, and French.