24.2137, Qs: Phoneme Inventory in Corpus for Speech Synthesis

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 21 14:05:55 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-2137. Tue May 21 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.2137, Qs: Phoneme Inventory in Corpus for Speech Synthesis

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:05:50
From: Martin Tozer [tozer.martin at e-campus.uab.cat]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-2137.html&submissionid=12466760&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am currently experimenting with a TTS system in General American and
researching my dissertation on improving speech synthesis and TTS systems with
phonological/phonetic knowledge. I have generated a series of phonological
rules in order to more accurately label the the corpus by using alternatives
in the segmentation. I am only dealing with within-word processes for the
moment. The dictionary used to transcribe the corpus employs the symbols used
in LPD notation (phonemic). It does not include the symbols of narrow phonetic
transcription (allophones eg. aspirated voiceless stops, tap-flaps etc.).

In my rules i have integrated new symbolic symbols for tap-flaps and syllabic
consonants. As I am considering including a rule related to aspirated
voiceless stops, I am wondering if most English speech synthesis systems
include these sounds as separate symbols in the transcription. That is, I
wonder if most commercial systems differentiate between aspirated and
non-aspirated voiceless stops at the transcription level.

The transcription is based on a modified version of the Festival Dictionary
0.4. As it is difficult to find any other freely available dictionaries for
synthesis, I would greatly appreciate knowing what level of transcription they
generally use or an inventory of symbols commonly used.

Please contact: tozer.martin at e-campus.uab.cat

Martin Tozer

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Phonetics
                     Phonology
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)