24.2140, Diss: Applied Ling: Victoire: Linguistics Disorders Caused by the Cleft Palate

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue May 21 14:39:36 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-2140. Tue May 21 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.2140, Diss: Applied Ling: Victoire: Linguistics Disorders Caused by the Cleft Palate

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Kristen Dunkinson <kristen at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 10:39:02
From: memdjokam victoire [mkoagnevictoire at yahoo.fr]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-2140.html&submissionid=12670340&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Yaounde I
Program: Master II in Speech Pathology
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2012

Author: Memdjokam Koagne Victoire

Dissertation Title: Linguistics Disorders Caused by the Cleft Palate

Dissertation Director(s):
Edmond Biloa

Dissertation Abstract:

Many diseases that interfere with our way of speaking, especially that
which has been the subject of our study, the slot palatine. This disease
has symptoms, probable causes, consequences and therapies available. Cleft
palate, caused by a failure of fusion of embryonic buds during the fifth
and sixth week of pregnancy and also in part by a genetic predisposition
alters the pronunciation of consonants (anterior and posterior), oral
vowels and syllables both simple and complex. Indeed, she attributes mainly
to consonants and vowels in a nasal tone because of the air escaping
through the slot and also because of the uvula defective. Syllables that
are modified when the joint is much more due to the presence of uvular [R]
at the margin of the syllable which leads the subject to reduce or simplify
it. This means that our subject's speech was much affected by the nasality
regarding the vowels as consonants. As regards the consonants earlier,
almost all are affected by the disease just three of them remained ditto.
However, in subsequent consonants, all are affected, and this deviation is
noted primarily at the articulation point because of the meeting point of
the latter which is faulty. The utterance of such a patient is both
anatomically and physiologically function of nasal speech, nasal twang of
whose main cause is inadequate velar. The consequences of this disease,
cleft palate, has implications not only linguistic but also has an impact,
social, physical, educational and many more. Available treatment and
mentioned in our work begins with a diagnosis, treatment and rehabilitation
where possible.