24.2221, Sum: Forensic Transcription - Experiment Results

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed May 29 13:55:04 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-2221. Wed May 29 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.2221, Sum: Forensic Transcription - Experiment Results

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 09:54:57
From: Helen Fraser [helenbfraser at gmail.com]
Subject: Forensic Transcription - Experiment Results

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-2221.html&submissionid=13553257&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List,

Some of you may remember last year I called for participants in an experiment
on forensic transcription (= use of hard-to-hear covert recordings as evidence
in criminal cases). Many thanks, again, to those who took part. (If you left
your email address you should have heard from me already some time ago - I
hope I did not miss anyone.)

The results have now been compiled, and though they are not yet published, I
have added a summary of the clearest findings to a new website on forensic
transcription. (links below)

Please feel free to have a look at the results or the site more generally -
and of course I welcome comments, questions or discussion.

The website also contains a link inviting you to do something called 'the pact
mini-experiment'. Please note this is not the same as the main experiment from
last year. It is intended as an 'experience' to introduce people to some of
the problems of forensic transcription (though the results have proved useful
- participants can read about them with a password provided at the end).

The mini-experiment is far more interesting to participants than the rather
difficult main experiment, so even if you did the main experiment at the time
you might well enjoy this new one. Especially if you tried the main experiment
but found it hard going, I would recommend giving this one a go. It has had a
wide range of participants and most rate it 'very interesting'. But up to you
of course!

In case you want to do it free of presuppositions from reading the website,
follow the direct link below.

Any problems - please do let me know.

All the best,

Helen

Website: http://forensictranscription.com.au

Straight to last year's experiment results:
http://forensictranscription.com.au/the-main-pact-experiment-results/

Straight to pact mini-experiment:
https://qasiatrial.asia.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_cU4dChD447wDj7L

Dr Helen Fraser
http://helenfraser.com.au
helen at helenfraser.com.au

Linguistic Field(s): Forensic Linguistics
                     Phonetics