24.2238, Qs: Phoneme Information for Lesser-Known Languages

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu May 30 16:33:28 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-2238. Thu May 30 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.2238, Qs: Phoneme Information for Lesser-Known Languages

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Brent Miller <brent at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 12:33:24
From: Martin Raymond [martin_raymond at scriptsource.org]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-2238.html&submissionid=13825117&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

SIL International has developed a website, ScriptSource, www.scriptsource.org,
which provides comprehensive information about the world's scripts, characters
and languages.  We are developing a new feature for ScriptSource which
involves documenting the graphemes that are used to write languages and which
phonemes they correspond to, and we need your help!

Currently we have acquired grapheme and phoneme information for English,
Spanish and Nepali.  We would like to include data for several lesser-known
languages before we add the feature to our website.  If you are familiar with
the orthography for one of these languages, we would like to invite you to
contribute information about its graphemes and phonemes.

We will send you a LibreOffice spreadsheet template on which you can enter the
graphemes and phonemes; to help you, we will include instructions and a copy
of our English and Spanish data to show how the data should be formatted.  All
appropriate attributions will, of course, be included when the information is
published on our site.

Since we are hoping to publish this data in early July, we would like to
receive any submissions in the next month or so. If you are willing and able
to help with this endeavour, please email me at
martin_raymond at scriptsource.org for further information.

Many thanks for your help with this!

Martin Raymond

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation
                     Phonetics

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/