24.4358, Qs: Questionnaire: SMS language

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Nov 3 22:23:26 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4358. Sun Nov 03 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4358, Qs: Questionnaire: SMS language

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews:
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2013 17:23:11
From: Yarusela Jeliński [yarusela_55 at outlook.com]
Subject: Questionnaire: SMS language

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4358.html&submissionid=22253129&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear colleagues,

I am in the last semester of my Master’s programme in English Language and Linguistics at the University of Vienna.

I am currently working on my Master thesis. The topic of my thesis is:  The linguistic creativity of LOLspeak and Textspeak.

My topic area is the language of the Internet  with a focus on the linguistic issues of Textspeak and LOLspeak. In particular, I examine the effects of character limitations on linguistic choices in each genre.

Concerning the empirical part of my thesis, I would like to create my own corpus by collecting real examples of SMS messages.  I am planning to collect a sample of private text messages of native speakers of English, because native speakers of English are more likely to use non-standard English, so we can predict that they are more sensitive to the nuances of the language style characteristics of Textspeak.

I have already designed a questionnaire in which I ask to share real SMS messages and  for sociolinguistic information, such as gender, age, nationality, the purpose of the message, the intended recipient of the message, and the participants’ frequency of texting.

I would like to invite all native speakers of English to participate in my project. The questionnaires can be sent via email (document file format).  I would be grateful if you could  spread the questionnaire to fellow faculty in at your and other institutions.

I assure the anonymity of individual text messages and also agree to thank those participants who wish to reveal their real names, in the acknowledgements of my thesis.

If you are interested in my project , please contact me at yarusela_55 at outlook.com

Best regards,
Yarusela

Subject Language(s): English (eng)