24.4611, Calls: Computational Ling, Discourse Analysis, Psycholing, Neuroling, Cogntive Sci/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 18 19:59:00 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4611. Mon Nov 18 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4611, Calls: Computational Ling, Discourse Analysis, Psycholing, Neuroling, Cogntive Sci/USA

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews:
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 14:58:50
From: Margaret Mitchell [clpsych2014-organizers at googlegroups.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics and Clinical Psychology

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4611.html&submissionid=23315069&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Computational Linguistics and Clinical Psychology
Short Title: clcp

Date: 27-Jun-2014 - 27-Jun-2014
Location: Baltimore, MD, USA
Contact Person: Margaret Mitchell
Meeting Email: clpsych2014-organizers at googlegroups.com
Web Site: http://clpsych.wordpress.com/

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Neurolinguistics; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 21-Mar-2014

Meeting Description:

This workshop will focus on on language technology applications in mental health, including technology for autism, dementia, depression, schizophrenia. We aim to bring together natural language processing (NLP) researchers with practicing clinicians, with the following four goals:

- To increase language technologists’ understanding of what mental health clinicians do and what their real needs are,
- To increase clinical practitioners’ understanding of what’s possible in language technology and what it might have to offer,
- To identify challenges that need to be overcome, and
- To formulate targets and priorities for near-term improvement of the practical state of the art.

Call for Papers:

Instead of the traditional presentation+questions format, each paper will also have a clinically-oriented discussant, who will read the paper thoroughly in advance and briefly present prepared commentary.

We are particularly interested in submissions that bear on issues like the following:

- What features of language or speech could play a prominent role in diagnosis?
- What algorithms and forms of modeling are applicable?
- What kind of data exists or could be obtained?
- What practical or ethical issues require attention?

We aim to emerge from the workshop discussions with a well defined strategy for progress informed by both the ACL and clinical psychologist participants. This could include, e.g., identifying a specific topic for a shared task; formulating a plan for sharing IRB application templates for natural language processing work in psychology; identifying the top-level requirements for a natural language processing toolkit specifically devoted to practical issues in clinical psychology.

Submission Instructions:

A key goal of this workshop is to foster the conversation with clinical psychology practitioners, both at the workshop and when these papers are read in the future. We are therefore including practicing mental health clinicians on our program committee; the ability to communicate ideas, approaches, and results clearly to people who are not computational linguistics experts will be as important as the quality of the work itself.

We encourage you to include supplementary materials (up to 2 pages) with technical details kept out of the body of the paper. These and other supplementary materials, such as code or datasets, will be linked via URL in the final version of the accepted paper.

Submissions can contain up to 8 pages of content, plus references of any length, plus up to 2 pages of supplementary materials as described above. Supplementary materials should be self-contained (i.e. should start on a separate page). Papers must conform to the ACL 2014 submission format guidelines, as detailed in the ACL 2014 Call for Papers. Submissions should be anonymous. Papers must be submitted using the START system at https://www.softconf.com/acl2014/CLPsych.

We will accept submissions for either oral or poster presentation.

Organizers:

Philip Resnik, PhD, University of Maryland
Rebecca Resnik, PsyD, Mindwell Psychology Bethesda
Meg Mitchell, PhD, Microsoft Research

To contact the organizers, please mail clpsych2014-organizers at googlegroups.com.

Web Sites:

General information: http://clpsych.wordpress.com
Paper submissions: https://www.softconf.com/acl2014/CLPsych

Important Dates:

Submissions deadline: March 21, 2014
Notifications sent to authors: April 11, 2014
Final, camera-ready papers due: April 28, 2014
Workshop in Baltimore: June 27, 2014