24.4013, Confs: English, Historical Linguistics, Pragmatics, Semantics, Syntax, Text/Corpus Linguistics/Belgium

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 14 13:52:54 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4013. Mon Oct 14 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4013, Confs: English, Historical Linguistics, Pragmatics, Semantics, Syntax, Text/Corpus Linguistics/Belgium

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Caylen Cole-Hazel <caylen at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 09:51:16
From: Lieven Vandelanotte [lieven.vandelanotte at arts.kuleuven.be]
Subject: Structure of the Noun Phrase in English - Synchronic and Diachronic Explorations

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4013.html&submissionid=21407688&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Structure of the Noun Phrase in English - Synchronic and Diachronic Explorations
Short Title: NP3

Date: 14-Nov-2013 - 15-Nov-2013
Location: Leuven, Belgium
Contact: Lieven Vandelanotte
Contact Email: lieven.vandelanotte at arts.kuleuven.be,  np3-csi at kuleuven.be
Meeting URL: http://www.arts.kuleuven.be/ling/fest/events/np-3-2013

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Meeting Description:

The first NP workshop (NP1) was held in Vigo on 2-3 October 2009, supported by the English Linguistics Circle of Santiago de Compostela and Vigo coordinated by Teresa Fanego. It was followed by NP2, organized in Newcastle on 15-16 September 2011. Following the success of NP1 and NP2 we are pleased to announce the 3rd Vigo-Newcastle-Santiago-Leuven International Workshop on ‘The Structure of the Noun Phrase in English - Synchronic and Diachronic Explorations’ (NP3), to be held at the University of Leuven on 14 and 15 November 2013.

Plenary Speakers:

Carlos Acuña Fariña (University of Santiago de Compostela)
Kersti Börjars (University of Manchester)
Nikolaus Himmelmann (University of Köln)

Note:
Participation is free of charge, but registration via the online form available on the website is requested by 5 November. The conference dinner is payable in cash on site by participants who have registered for it. The NP3 workshop is immediately followed by the Complex Sentences International workshop (16-17 November); the programme and further information is available on the same website:
http://www.arts.kuleuven.be/ling/fest/events/np-3-2013-CSI-2013

NP3 Programme:

Thursday 14 Nov 2013

9:30-10:00
Registration/coffee

10:00-11:15
Carlos Acuña Fariña, University of Santiago de Compostela
(A few) psycholinguistic properties of NPs

11:15-12:00
Jong-Bok Kim, Kyung Hee University, and Frank Van Eynde, University of Leuven
Form and function mismatch in nominal apposition in English: A construction-based approach

12:00-12:45
Lot Brems, University of Liège
Fear(s) + complement clauses

12:45-14:00
Lunch

14:00-14:45
Lauren Fonteyn, Hendrik De Smet & Liesbet Heyvaert, University of Leuven
The verbal gerund as an instance of 'discourse-functional verbalization': Reference types and reference status

14:45-15:30
Teresa Fanego, University of Santiago de Compostela
New reflections on actualization and reanalysis, with special reference to developments in English gerundive nominalizations

15:30-16.00
Coffee/tea

16:00-16:45
Artur Bartnik, John Paul II Catholic University of Lublin
Possessive-determiner combinations in Old English and Polish: A comparative study

16:45-17:30
Tine Breban, David Denison, University of Manchester
The development of the English determiner: A conspiracy theory

17:30-18:45
Kersti Börjars, University of Manchester
Adjective-noun order in early Germanic

20:00
Conference dinner

Friday 15 Nov 2013

9:00-10:15
Nikolaus Himmelmann, University of Köln
Phrase structure and prosodic phrasing

10:15-11:00
Steffen Schaub, Philipps University Marburg
The noun phrase in New Englishes

11:00-11:30
Coffee/tea

11:30-12:15
John Payne, University of Manchester
Adjectives and the complement-modifier distinction

12:15-13:00
Tine Breban, Caroline Gentens, University of Manchester, University of Leuven
Multiple shifts of numerous adjectives: The role of collocations in functional change in the English NP

13:00-14:15
Lunch

14:15-15:00
Freek Van de Velde, University of Leuven
>From constructional expansion to constructional explosion: The case of transparent free relatives

15:00-15:45
Kristin Davidse, University of Leuven
Three types of relative clause?

15:45-16:15
Coffee/tea

Presentations by Leuven doctoral students on the NP:

16:15-17:00
Dana Louagie, Jean-Christophe Verstraete, University of Leuven
The role of pronouns in NPs in Australian languages

17:00-17:45
Natalia Pericchi, Bert Cornillie, Freek Van de Velde, University of Leuven
Towards a diachronic account of clitic doubling in Spanish

17:45-18:30
Business meeting

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/