24.4026, Calls: Semantics, Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics/Denmark

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 14 15:47:11 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4026. Mon Oct 14 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4026, Calls: Semantics, Discourse Analysis, Pragmatics/Denmark

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:46:59
From: Carmen Daniela Maier [cdm at asb.dk]
Subject: Encompassing the Multimodality of Knowledge

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4026.html&submissionid=21407808&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Encompassing the Multimodality of Knowledge

Date: 08-May-2014 - 10-May-2014
Location: Aarhus, Denmark
Contact Person: Carmen Daniela Maier
Meeting Email: cdm at asb.dk
Web Site: http://bcom.au.dk/research/conferencesandlectures/encompassing-the-multimodality-of-knowledge/

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Pragmatics; Semantics

Call Deadline: 14-Jan-2014

Meeting Description:

Encompassing the Multimodality of Knowledge
May 2014

We are happy to announce that the 5th international conference in the 360o series will be held in Aarhus, Denmark 8 – 10 May 2014. The conference features three key note addresses, i.e., Professor Theo van Leeuwen, Professor Carey Jewitt and Professor David Machin.

The theme of the 5th international conference in the 360º series is Encompassing the Multimodality of Knowledge. In choosing this particular theme we have - like in the previous four conferences - deliberatively chosen a rather broad topic. We have done so in the explicit hope that this will encourage researchers from a wide variety of different research fields and communities to participate and join us in the 360º exploration of the phenomenon in question.

Choosing the multimodality of knowledge as this year's theme was indeed quite easy. The construction, representation and communication of knowledge are characterized nowadays by an intensified shift from language towards multimodality, namely towards the usage of a complex interplay of semiotic modes, from written text to speech, still and/or moving images, sound, music, etc. Today, the amount and variety of information that appears across several media and the speed with which new knowledge is being produced through several semiotic modes simultaneously are more and more challenging. The causes of this ground-breaking expansion can be found both in the rapid development of easily accessed technologies that make possible to design and disseminate new forms of texts, and in the appearance of the new generations of writers, readers and/or viewers who can create and retrieve knowledge through several semiotic modes and across media.

Among other things, this entails that the range of communicative competencies that are expected from knowledge communicators belonging to various domains is changing at a swift pace. Along with becoming literates in domain-specific knowledge creation, we might all be expected in the future course of our careers to become routinized multiliterates, namely experts in resemiotization and remediation of the knowledge that we create and communicate in the context of our specific discourse communities. The range of choices allowed by the multimedia and multimodal construction, representation and communication of knowledge is also influential in the alteration and modification of prototypical generic forms.

In sum, the multimodality of knowledge communication is not merely one issue in the contemporary knowledge society; it is probably the issue in the knowledge society.

We understand multimodal knowledge communication as the dominant kind of contemporary communication. In this context, the aim of knowledge communication is providing understanding through the usage of a complex interplay of several semiotic modes and usually across several media. A typical communicator in this sense would be, say, a lecturer, a researcher, a translator, a journalist, a marketing communicator, or the like. What they have in common as knowledge communicators is the fact that they all have to communicate with the new multiliterate generations in continually renewed multimedia contexts. In the case of each of these communicators, the available multimodal tools that they can use across several media are complex. And it is exactly this complexity that we aim at exploring.

We consider that it is necessary both to acknowledge and understand the consequences of this situation in various domains: education (teaching and learning), research, journalism, marketing communication, entertainment, etc.

Call for Papers:

As the conference title suggests, we encourage participants to explore and engage the multimodality of knowledge from a wide variety of combined perspectives and disciplines from multimodality to visual anthropology, linguistics, discourse analysis, genre analysis, LSP research, etc. We are especially looking for contributions within the following three strands:

Communication:

- Which settings, media, modes, channels and / or what practices enhance our use of multimodal configurations when communicating knowledge?
- What interactional parameters influence the multimodal communication of knowledge?
- Where do the challenges, paradoxes and dilemmas of multimodal knowledge communication lie?

Representation:

- What combination of modes is suited for representing specific types of knowledge?
- What relations exist between methods for analysing knowledge and representing it multimodally?
- What specific textual and generic features or certain technologies enhance multimodal representation?
- Which cultural, conventional, habitual, or ritualistic elements can enhance multimodal representation?
- What research tools are available for coding and representing the meaning-making interplay of several semiotic modes?

Construction:

- What are the distinctive affordances of multimodal phenomena (from singular multimodal texts to multimedia art installations and interactive social events) in constructing knowledge?
- Does multimodality enhance or even ensure the construction of knowledge in the 'other'?
- Where may we locate the motivational triggers for constructing knowledge by means of complex multimodal resources - are they individual, social, discursive, purely cognitive or?

Deadlines:

14 January 2014: Abstract submission due
14 February 2014: Notification of acceptance

For more information please visit the conference web site: http://bcom.au.dk/research/conferencesandlectures/encompassing-the-multimodality-of-knowledge/