24.4031, Qs: A Request for Help, MA Study about South Africans

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 15 13:26:28 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4031. Tue Oct 15 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4031, Qs: A Request for Help, MA Study about South Africans

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 09:26:22
From: Peter Boehme [peter.boehme89 at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4031.html&submissionid=21478027&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear Potential Participant,

My name is Peter Boehme and I am currently conducting research for my MA thesis about national identities and self-perceptions of different groups in South Africa. My aim is to explore how South Africans see themselves in the ‘New South Africa’, what they think about their current situation in the country and which role a common South African identity plays for them.

For this project, I am still looking for White South Africans, with whom I could conduct interviews in form of e-mail contact, Facebook, Skype and if you are presently staying in Germany near Chemnitz, possibly also face-to-face interviews. Depending on the communication platform, the interviews will take up more time or not. That means we will approximately need a two-hour time slot for face-to-face interviews or interviews via Skype. During this time, I will ask you several open follow-up questions about your comprehension of and your attitudes towards the ‘New South Africa’ and a common South African identity. Those questions will sometimes be complemented by additional questions if something is unclear. In case you have a relatively ordered daily life and are running low on time due to work or studies, we can also communicate via e-mail or Facebook. In doing so, you are not bound to one dense time slot, but can be more flexible and plan your time to answer yourself. I will ask you the same successive questions for this way of communication. Of course, your responses will be treated anonymously.

In case you are interested in participating, I would appreciate it very much if you contacted me via e-mail at peter.boehme89 at gmail.com since I do not have your e-mail addresses. In this way, we can arrange further communication and solve any questions you might have.

Thank you again for helping me with my project!

Yours Sincerely,

Peter Boehme

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics