24.4092, Calls: English, Applied Ling, Socioling, Writing Systems, General Ling/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 17 14:56:16 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4092. Thu Oct 17 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4092, Calls: English, Applied Ling, Socioling, Writing Systems, General Ling/USA

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:56:01
From: Stephen Wilson [talgs at ecu.edu]
Subject: TESOL / Applied Linguistics Graduate Students Conference

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4092.html&submissionid=21618615&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: TESOL / Applied Linguistics Graduate Students Conference
Short Title: TALGS

Date: 15-Feb-2014 - 15-Feb-2014
Location: Asheville, North Carolina, USA
Contact Person: Dr. Eleanor Petrone
Meeting Email: talgs at email.wcu.edu
Web Site: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/engl/talgs/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Writing Systems

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 01-Dec-2013

Meeting Description:

Organized by the Linguistics and TESOL graduate students and faculty, TALGS aims to provide a serious but relaxed environment for graduate students and professionals working in TESL/TEFL/FL and a variety of applied linguistics fields to present their work, receive feedback, and network. The TALGS Conference provides graduate students as well as TESOL and other Foreign Language professionals (including ESOL, TESL, EFL, ESL, TEFL, Spanish, French, German, DLI, etc.) a forum to showcase their research and successful teaching practices. TALGS is committed to bettering the educational experiences of language learners in the community by providing a comfortable environment where an interaction between theory/research and practice/teaching is possible.

Plenary:

The Common Core State Standards: Opportunity and Challenge!

The Common Core State Standards, now adopted by 45 states, embed literacy in content learning. For our English language learners, there are new opportunities and challenges in preparing for college and career. This plenary discusses how TESOL professionals play key roles in our schools by supporting learners and colleagues in differentiating instruction for student success in content learning while simultaneously increasing students' language resources and skills. Reading informational texts, supporting written and oral arguments, and understanding and using appropriate technical and general academic vocabulary are essential components of the Common Core. As readers and writers of complex informational texts ourselves, we understand that grammar (discourse, syntax, and lexicon) varies across genres of spoken and written language, and the plenary will give us an opportunity to explore grade level literate and social practices in science, social studies, language arts and math and how learners at various proficiency levels can benefit from instructional conversations.

As professionals, we bring to schools knowledge of language and language systems, instructional strategies to match and push language proficiency, both receptive and productive, and a collaborative spirit in the pursuit of knowledge using a variety of media. We integrate literate and social practices in our and our colleagues' classrooms through sensory, graphic, and interactive supports. The plenary allows discussion of the development and continuous improvement of assessments of learning. Reflective tools will also be addressed to facilitate curricular review and revision in expanding and improving instruction, materials, and assessments. Local needs for implementing the Common Core, access and use of teacher resources, and advocacy for continuous professional support (including school-university partnerships) will be addressed and a handout of resources provided.

Workshop:

The Common Core State Standards challenge our English Language Learners to demonstrate knowledge and literacy at grade level across content areas. This workshop allows participants opportunities to work with colleagues teaching in the same grade bands to generate ideas for interactive instructional tasks rich in textual and graphic support, to share resources and ideas for meeting and assessing students across school subjects, and to plan for continued professional development.

For information on registration, please visit: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/engl/talgs/registration.cfm.

Call for Papers:

Research Meets Practice & Practice Meets Research

We encourage submissions from graduate students and professionals whose research and practice fall broadly under the umbrella of applied linguistics and TESL/TEFL. The mission of the conference binds us to prioritize proposals from graduate students and professionals not holding a doctoral degree. If you are interested in submitting but unsure about eligibility, do email Western Carolina TALGS at talgs at email.wcu.edu or East Carolina TALGS at talgs at ecu.edu. We will gladly assist you.

We welcome proposals relevant to language use, learning, and/or teaching. Sample fields include applied linguistics & education (e.g., teaching ESL/EFL, English language learners in mainstream classrooms, immersion/dual language programs, or content-based teaching models), English studies, discourse, foreign languages, sociolinguistics, and corpus linguistics.

Presentations on action research (inside and outside the classroom), reports on successful teaching practices, works in progress, as well as proposals for discussion sessions and workshops will be considered. Presentations requiring computer facilities can be accommodated. Multiple proposals will be considered.

For more detailed submission information, please visit: http://www.ecu.edu/cs-cas/engl/talgs/proposals.cfm.

The deadline for proposal submission is Sunday, December 1, 2013.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/