24.4094, Support: General Linguistics/Cananda

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 17 16:03:05 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4094. Thu Oct 17 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4094, Support: General Linguistics/Cananda

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:59:23
From: Junko Shimoyama [junko.shimoyama at mcgill.ca]
Subject: PhD Student, McGill University, Cananda

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4094.html&submissionid=21618547&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: McGill University
Department: Linguistics
Web Address: http://www.mcgill.ca/linguistics/

Level: PhD

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics
Experimental Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at McGill University invites applications for graduate admission for Fall 2014. As in the past, we are pleased to offer a very competitive funding package for 2014-2015.

Our graduate program has recently undergone significant restructuring and expansion. The new Experimental Stream offers a two-course sequence in Experimental Linguistics ('Foundations' and 'Methods'), focusing on experimental, statistical, and computational methods. There are further new offerings in the areas of expertise of our recent hires: Meghan Clayards (Phonetics and Psycholinguistics), Morgan Sonderegger (Computational Phonology and Phonetics), and Michael Wagner (Prosody and Language Processing). These additions complement existing strengths in L2 Acquisition of Syntax (Lydia White), L1 and L2 Acquisition of Phonology (Heather Goad), Neurolinguistics (Yosef Grodzinsky) and Sociolinguistics (Charles Boberg). The experimental stream allows our students to focus on empirical studies while also acquiring a solid grounding in linguistic theory. The department has excellent resources for conducting empirical research: two experimental labs, a field methods lab, and soon also a computational lab, equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, including eye trackers, sound-attenuated booths, and high-performance computers. We are affiliated with many other experimental facilities through the Centre for Research on Brain, Language, and Music (crblm.ca), and also have close ties to the School of Communication Sciences and Disorders and the Department of Psychology.

At the same time we have also extended our offerings in syntax and semantics. Luis Alonso-Ovalle has joined Brendan Gillon and Bernhard Schwarz to strengthen our program in the areas of Formal Semantics and Pragmatics. Jessica Coon has joined Junko Shimoyama and Lisa Travis to extend our syntax offerings, and has also reinvigorated the department's long tradition in teaching Field Methods and conducting Field Work, which has already resulted in a collaborative language revitalization project with a local community (see migmaq.org for more information).

The 5-year PhD program in Linguistics offers a competitive funding package and allows for applications straight from a B.A., or after an M.A. Applicants are admitted to the program rather than to work with a specific supervisor. This gives students considerable flexibility in developing their own research agenda. The program offers a tight curriculum of core courses in the first year, and a lighter load with more in-depth courses in the second year. Students write and defend two evaluation papers before embarking on their dissertation research, as is common in other North American Ph.D. programs.

The stand-alone M.A. program is intended for students who wish to pursue further studies in Linguistics before deciding whether or not to continue on to a Ph.D. program. We also offer a Qualifying Year program for students transitioning into Linguistics from other fields.

More information about research and teaching in the department is available on our website (http://www.mcgill.ca/linguistics/graduate). Our website also provides information on living in Montréal, where McGill University is located, a cosmopolitan, bilingual, and affordable city. Instruction at McGill is in English.

Note that we have a comparatively early deadline: December 15, 2013

Required documents for application: http://www.mcgill.ca/linguistics/graduate/admission

Online application page: http://www.mcgill.ca/gradapplicants/apply/ready

The Department of Linguistics,
McGill University