24.4259, Calls: Historical Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, General Linguistics/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 28 18:18:50 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-4259. Mon Oct 28 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.4259, Calls: Historical Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, General Linguistics/USA

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 14:18:40
From: Julian Grove [juliang at uchicago.edu]
Subject: Chicago Linguistics Society 50

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-4259.html&submissionid=22111697&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Chicago Linguistics Society 50
Short Title: CLS50

Date: 10-Apr-2014 - 13-Apr-2014
Location: Chicago, Illinois, USA
Contact Person: Adam Singerman
Meeting Email: adamsingerman at uchicago.edu

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Morphology; Phonetics; Phonology; Pragmatics; Semantics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax

Call Deadline: 05-Jan-2014

Meeting Description:

Join us for the 50th annual meeting of the Chicago Linguistics Society, to be held at the University of Chicago from April 10 to April 13, 2014. To celebrate half a century of CLS, we are planning a very special conference, with invited speakers, talks by University of Chicago faculty members, and parasessions on specific areas of linguistic inquiry.

Invited Speakers:

Bruce P. Hayes (University of California, Los Angeles)
Daniel Lassiter (Stanford University)
Gregory M. Kobele (University of Chicago)
Jessica Coon (McGill University)
Jonathan David Bobaljik (University of Connecticut)
Katalin É. Kiss (Hungarian Academy of Sciences)
Pauline Jacobson (Brown University)

Call for Papers:

2014 marks the 50th anniversary of the annual meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society, the oldest student-run linguistics conference in the United States. In keeping with half a century of CLS tradition, we invite abstracts for talks in any area of current research in phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, historical linguistics and sociolinguistics, as well as in related cross-disciplinary areas. We also plan to host three topic-oriented parasessions: (1) Locality, (2) Experimental and Probabilistic Methods, and (3) Information Structure.

Research that draws upon data from any language(s) will be welcome. Depending on the final selection of abstracts, CLS50 may include additional parasessions focusing on specific language families or regions of the world. We particularly invite research that concerns the native languages of the Americas; the Turkic language family; Greek and Cypriot Greek; and Mandarin and Cantonese.

Each presenter will be given 20 minutes for his or her presentation, followed by a 10-minute question and answer period. Presented papers will be published in the CLS50 proceedings.

Parasession Descriptions:

Locality:

What restrictions do locality conditions place on syntax, phonology, morphology, and their respective interfaces? Possible topics for this parasession might relate to locality constraints on syntactic dependencies, word formation, and allomorphy, as well as to phonological phenomena determined by local relations. Abstracts pertinent to all aspects of locality, as well as analyses challenging such accounts, are encouraged.

Experimental and Probabilistic Methods:

How can we use experimental and/or computational methods to advance linguistics research? We seek abstracts that address the applicability and refinement of experimental work and probabilistic models for a wide array of linguistic subfields, ranging from phonetics and phonology through morphology and syntax to semantics and pragmatics.

Information Structure:

How do natural languages express discourse notions such as topic and focus? For this parasession we welcome research that explores how information structural notions are manifested in and interact with the grammar proper.

Abstract Guidelines:

So that we may evaluate all submissions in a fair and equal manner, abstracts which fail to adhere to any of the following guidelines will be automatically rejected. Abstracts will be evaluated under a two-tiered system involving both external and internal reviewers.

(1) Abstracts must be submitted in PDF format with filename PaperTitle.pdf (e.g., The Morphophonemics of Robojibwe.pdf).

(2) Include paper title and keywords (i.e., CLS session title, linguistic subfield(s), language(s)/ language family) in the abstract.

(3) An abstract must be at most two pages in length (including data and references), on letter sized (8.5 by 11) or A4 page setting with one-inch margins, set in a font no smaller than 11 points. Intersperse data within the main text of the abstract, not on a separate page.

(4) Abstracts must be anonymous. Author name(s) must not appear on the abstract or file name. In addition, be sure to remove any author name in the document properties of the PDF file.

(5) Please submit your abstract through the EasyChair platform. (Registration is easy and free.) Visit EasyChair here: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=cls50.

(6) All abstracts must be submitted by 11:59 PM CST on Sunday, January 5, 2014.

(7) Submissions are limited to one individual and one joint abstract per author, or two joint abstracts per author.

Please write to chicagolinguisticsociety50 at gmail.com for general correspondence. Do not submit abstracts to this email address; abstracts will be accepted through our EasyChair site only. And please visit our website at: http://lucian.uchicago.edu/blogs/cls/

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/