24.3467, Qs: influence of obstruents on preceding sibilants

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Sep 4 17:25:06 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3467. Wed Sep 04 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3467, Qs: influence of obstruents on preceding sibilants

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 13:24:46
From: Birgit Alber [birgit.alber at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3467.html&submissionid=19104234&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

There are many German and Italian dialects displaying a phonological process by which an alveolar sibilant [s] becomes postalveolar (palatoalveolar)  [S] before stops (sometimes also before sonorants).

Could someone point me to phonetic literature discussing why such a process might take place?

I am aware of literature discussing a similar process when the sibilant is close to a rhotic, but I could not find any literature discussing the influence of obstruents on preceding sibilants.

I am also aware of the phonological literature analyzing this process as dissimilation (Wiese 1991, Alber 2001, Hall 2007), but do not think that this explanation works, since in many dialects the process takes place also before /k/.

Birgit Alber

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics
                     Phonology