24.3619, Qs: 18th-century pronouncing dictionaries

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 16 14:46:39 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3619. Mon Sep 16 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3619, Qs: 18th-century pronouncing dictionaries

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 10:46:27
From: Véronique Pouillon [vpouillon at gmail.com]
Subject: 18th-century pronouncing dictionaries

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3619.html&submissionid=19659791&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

I am currently working on a research project which involves analyzing syllabification in eighteenth-century English pronouncing dictionaries; in order to facilitate the process, I am looking for digitized versions of these works in computer-searchable formats (as opposed to image pdfs), i.e. either text documents or pdfs converted through optical character recognition (OCR).

I am in the process of digitizing Thomas Sheridan's General Dictionary of the English Language (1780), and am also looking for :

BAILEY, Nathan. An Universal Etymological Dictionary, 1740 (9th edition).
ASH, John. The New and Complete Dictionary of the English Language, London, 1775.
PERRY, William. A General Dictionary of the English Language, London, 1795.

KENRICK, William. A new dictionary of the English language, London, 1773.
PERRY, William. The Royal Standard English Dictionary, Edinburgh, 1775.
SHERIDAN, Thomas. A General Dictionary of the English Language, London, 2nd edition, 1789.
WALKER, John. A Critical Pronouncing Dictionary, London, 1791. Also the 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions, 1797, 1803 and 1806.
Anonymous. A Pronouncing Dictionary of the English Language, London, 1796.
JONES, Stephen. A General Pronouncing and Explanatory Dictionary (Sheridan Improved), London, 1797, 2nd edition (first edition 179?).
Anonymous. A Vocabulary of Such Words in the English Language As Are of Dubious or Unsettled Accentuation, London, 1797.

If you have any of these works, or excerpts, in digitized form, and are willing to share, I would be immensely grateful.

Best regards,

Véronique Pouillon
CLILLAC-ARP
Université Paris 7

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     History of Linguistics
                     Lexicography
                     Phonology

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/