24.3717, Calls: Sociolinguistics, General Linguistics/Netherlands

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Sat Sep 21 17:53:37 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3717. Sat Sep 21 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3717, Calls: Sociolinguistics, General Linguistics/Netherlands

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 13:52:44
From: Nanna H Hilton [n.h.hilton at rug.nl]
Subject: Methods in Dialectology XV

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3717.html&submissionid=19938649&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Methods in Dialectology XV
Short Title: Methods XV

Date: 11-Aug-2014 - 15-Aug-2014
Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Contact Person: Nanna H Hilton
Meeting Email: methodsxv at gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.methods-xv.net/

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Jan-2014

Meeting Description:

Methods XV - University of Groningen

In a world of virtual communication and increasing opportunities for geographical mobility, both the basis for linguistic variation and the types of variation that are frequently encountered are hanging. The field of dialectology is also hanging - therefore, the theme for the 15th edition of Methods in Dialectology is 'The Future of dialects'.  One of the aims of the conference is to bring traditional approaches to dialectology together with the latest advances in data collection technologies, new analysis instruments, and new interpretations of the concept of 'dialect'.

Methods in Dialectology is a triennial conference that alternates between Canada and Europe. Methods XV will be held at the University of Groningen from Monday, 11 August to Friday, 15 August 2014. We are proud to announce that the following speakers have accepted our invitation to deliver keynote addresses at the conference:

Jacob Eisenstein (Georgia Institute of Technology)
Frans Gregersen (University of Copenhagen)
Mark Liberman (University of Pennsylvania)
Naomi Nagy (University of Toronto)

Call for Papers:

The organising committee of Methods XV invites papers on all subjects in the field of dialectology, on any language and on any topic related to regional, social or historical variation in language. We particularly welcome paper submissions that address the main theme of the conference, 'The Future of Dialects'. We also urge scientists working in fields outside linguistics, but who are involved with technologies or methodologies that can be applied to the investigation of linguistic variation, to submit papers for this conference.

Presentations will be 20 minutes in length, followed by a 10-minute discussion period. There will also be sessions for poster presentations.

Abstracts for papers or posters should be no more than 300 words excluding bibliography and can be submitted using EasyAbs. Please submit your abstract in a .txt or .doc(x) format. We strive towards a double-blind reviewing process of the abstracts; please make the abstract as anonymous as possible. The abstract deadline is 15 January 2014. Authors will be notified of acceptance in March 2014. Each participant may have at most two contributions at the conference, one as author and one as co-author.

Call for Workshops and Special Sessions:

We welcome proposals for workshops and special sessions for Methods XV. Workshops may be concerned with particular methodological instruments, technological innovations or forms of analysis. Special sessions may have a particular focus on a language group or a specific topic in dialectology. Proposals for workshops or special sessions should include an overview of the topic and importance of the session, in no more than 500 words. In addition the proposal should contain details of the invited speakers, the text of the call for papers (if applicable), and a description of the relevance of the workshop to Methods XV. The deadline for submitting a special session proposal is also on 15 January 2013. The workshop and special session proposals will be reviewed by the local organising committee.

Best Papers and Posters from Young Scholars:

The organising committee of Methods XV is happy to announce that we will be awarding a €500 prize to the best papers or posters presented by young scholars during Methods XV. A young scholar is a (graduate) student or a post-doc whose Ph.D. was awarded after August 2011. Please indicate on the abstract whether you might be eligible for such an award.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/