24.3735, Jobs: Comp Ling; Morphology; NLP: Researcher/Scientist, Nuance

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 23 17:19:15 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3735. Mon Sep 23 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3735, Jobs: Comp Ling; Morphology; NLP: Researcher/Scientist, Nuance

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 13:19:06
From: Jennifer Garvale [jennifer.garvale at nuance.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Natural Language Processing: Researcher/Scientist, Nuance, California, USA

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3735.html&submissionid=20147837&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance
Department: Research
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com/index.htm
Job Title: NLP Research Scientist
Job Rank: Researcher; Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Morphology; Natural Language Processing

Nuance is the world-wide leader in voice technologies. We are now making substantial research and development investments to add natural language processing capabilities to our speech infrastructure.   We are expanding our new Silicon Valley Natural Language Research laboratory.  The goal of this group is to develop the next generation of intelligent, conversational agents.  We seek research scientists and engineers with the following backgrounds:
-  Dialog Processing
-  Discourse and Anaphora Resolution
-  Generation
-  Parsing
-  Entity Recognition
-  Morphology
-  Multilingual NLP
-  Machine Learning

Responsibilities:
-  Conduct research on the language processing, dialog, generation, or reasoning components of our conversational system.  Develop and incorporate state-of-the-art algorithms and tools.
-  Adapt existing components from within Nuance and from previous research in the field to a new problem space and domain.
-  Understand the trade-offs between multiple competing approaches, and choose the ones that are likely to have future impact on the company's products.
-  Design components in a way that will generalize across domains.
-  Collaborate with other scientists and engineers inside and outside of the team.
-  Patent or publish experimental results or designs when appropriate.

Education / Experience:
-  Ph.D. in computer science, computational linguistics, linguist, or another technical field with a focus on natural language processing.
-  Solid track record in both projects and publications for natural language processing.
-  Solid implementation skills in C++, Java, scripting languages.
-  Knowledge of both statistical and rule-based methods for natural language processing.

Email Address for Applications: jennifer.garvale at nuance.com
Contact Information:
	Technical Recruiter Jennifer Garvale
	Email: jennifer.garvale at nuance.com