24.3744, Calls: General Ling, Ling & Literature, Applied Ling, Language Acq, Socioling/USA

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 24 14:54:08 UTC 2013

LINGUIST List: Vol-24-3744. Tue Sep 24 2013. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 24.3744, Calls: General Ling, Ling & Literature, Applied Ling, Language Acq, Socioling/USA

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 10:53:50
From: Timothy Alford [twalford at crimson.ua.edu]
Subject: Alabama Modern Language Conference

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=24-3744.html&submissionid=20147869&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Alabama Modern Language Conference
Short Title: AMLC

Date: 07-Feb-2014 - 08-Feb-2014
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Contact Person: Chelsea Tanous
Meeting Email: ctanous at crimson.ua.edu
Web Site: http://mlc.ua.edu/fourth-annual-modern-language-conference-2014/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Nov-2013

Meeting Description:

Converging Cultures: Languages, Literatures, & Identity

Keynote Speaker:

Dr. Claire Kramsch
- Professor of German and Education at the University of California, Berkeley
- Author of The Multilingual Subject: What language learners say about their experience and why it matters (Oxford University Press, 2009); Distinguished Teaching Award & Distinguished Service Award from the Modern Language Association, 2000.

When cultures engage, inevitably altering experiences, practices, and worldviews, new identities emerge. Multilingual and multicultural studies are vital to a fully informed approach to an array of disciplines. They affect our pedagogical approaches, our understanding of discourse, our interpretations of classic and modern literatures, and our appraisal of the evolution of culture, language, and interpersonal interaction.

Call for Papers:

As critical participants in this process, we invite you to showcase your insights concerning converging cultures. We encourage graduate students in Spanish, French, and German to present examples of how the domains of language, literature and identity interact and create new common ground.

We welcome submissions in the following categories pertaining to the theme of converging cultures:

- Comparative literature, world literatures, emergent literatures
- Linguistics and language, hybrid speech
- Second language acquisition, applied linguistics, and culture in the classroom
- Post-Colonial and identity studies, multiculturalism, deconstructionist ideology
- Cultural studies, gender studies, topics on race, ethnicity, and class
- Multi-disciplinary approaches in fields such as sociology, psychology, anthropology, and history

The conference welcomes papers in English, Spanish, French, and German of 20 minutes in length. Please email abstracts in English of up to 500 words as a Word document attachment to amlc2014 at gmail.com. Please include the following for each presenter: name, affiliation, email address, title of presentation, and multimedia requests. Suggestions for panels of three or four presenters are especially encouraged; along with a description of the panel proposed, please submit individual abstracts for all presenters, and provide the professional information requested.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/