25.1551, Second Stop in South and Central America!

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 2 13:35:42 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1551. Wed Apr 02 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1551, Second Stop in South and Central America!

Fund Drive 2014
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 09:35:28
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Second Stop in South and Central America!

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1551.html&submissionid=29680787&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Region 7 | South and Central America | Fund Drive 2014

Buenos dias mi amigos de l’aventurita en Costa Rica! First, we’ll travel to
San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, whereupon we will embark to Reserva
Indígena Boruca. Here we will find the Boruca indigenous community, home to
approximately 2250 people. Here people are the last remaining speakers of
Boruca, which is an amalgamation of various interzonal languages between the
Carribbean and Peru. Spanish is the primary language of these people, though
Brucan sign language is an indigenous sign language that still remains alive.
The Bruncan people maintain their own unique way of living and maintaining an
economy. The primary subsistence is small scale agriculture. Brunca people are
famed for their mask making for “La Fiesta de los Diablitos”, a three day new
year’s celebration.

Brunca people use a variety of locally obtained materials to create their
masks, and much time and dedication goes into designing them.

Traditional foods of the Reserva Indigena Boruca are similar to the Costa
Rican staple diet. Some recipe variations can be found in the preparation of
Tomales, and other special dishes are presented at various occasions. Chocado
is a special preparation of ground banana prepared with a wooden tool which is
made from wood found only in the mountainous areas of the region. Chicha is a
variation of an ancient Incan corn drink which is prepared by soaking and
fermenting grains, water, and sugar.

Our next stop in Costa Rica is Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, where we will meet a
diverse cultural representation of American peoples. Many people live in and
around this coastal city. A great majority of voters in this region are part
of the indigenous speakers of Bribri. The Bribri live on the outskirts of town
and in the surrounding mountains, where they maintain the viability of their
language. Bribri sign language is also prevalent and used by deaf speakers in
the villages surrounding Puerto Viejo.

The secondary language of these people is the national language, Spanish. If
you are interstested in immersing yourself in the culture and Spanish language
of Costa Rica with “Spanish by the Sea” or any number of Puerto Viejo de
Talamanca’s language schools. In your free time, enjoy the great surf-worthy
waves and radical beaches, or trek through the Central American rainforests
where you’ll see monkeys, toucans, and a multitude of other great species.

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.