25.3335, Calls: Typology, Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics/Belgium

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 21 17:28:01 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-3335. Thu Aug 21 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.3335, Calls: Typology, Pragmatics, Sociolinguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics/Belgium

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 13:27:17
From: Giovanni Rossi [giovanni.rossi at mpi.nl]
Subject: Pragmatic Typology

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-3335.html&submissionid=35950997&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Pragmatic Typology
Short Title: pragtyp

Date: 26-Jul-2015 - 31-Jul-2015
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact Person: Mark Dingemanse
Meeting Email: mark.dingemanse at mpi.nl

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Typology

Call Deadline: 01-Sep-2014

Meeting Description:

Typology is the comparative study of linguistic systems. Just like one can develop typologies of sound systems, syntax, and semantics, so one can typologise pragmatic and conversational structure. This panel focuses on new methods, concepts and findings in the domain of pragmatic typology: the comparative study of language use and the principles that shape it.

Pragmatics has long had a comparative outlook, and some of its important results have come from major cross-linguistic studies of politeness (Brown and Levinson 1978) and speech acts such as requests and apologies (Blum-Kulka, House, and Kasper 1989). Recent developments in this domain have been characterized by a renewed interest in the study of naturally occurring face-to-face interaction, resulting in an upsurge of comparative research focusing on pragmatic phenomena in conversation (Ochs, Schegloff, and Thompson 1996; Luke and Pavlidou 2002; Enfield and Stivers 2007; Sidnell 2009; Stivers et al. 2009; Sidnell and Enfield 2012; Zinken and Ogiermann 2013; Dingemanse, Blythe, and Dirksmeyer 2014; Nuckolls and Michael 2014). Comparative work on pragmatics has grown to encompass a diverse set of methods and has already generated exciting new findings.

This panel aims to bring together international experts to discuss recent work in this emerging field, with a special focus on fundamental research questions and methods to address them. The growing availability of rich records of language usage enables us to address long-standing questions, but also to pose new ones. How general are proposed pragmatic universals? How do the exigencies of conversation shape and constrain the evolution of linguistic systems? How are systems of language use inflected by differences in the lexico-grammatical resources of typologically different languages? If systems of language use form paradigms, how are these paradigms to be compared across languages? How do different modes of social interaction (e.g., technology-mediated forms of communication) influence linguistic choices and pragmatic affordances?

Call for Papers:

We invite contributions to the field of pragmatic typology, broadly conceived, focusing on topics such as the systematic comparison of action sequences, systems of linguistic practices, and pragmatic principles across different situations, settings, and societies. Contributions should be primarily data-driven, and should present findings as well as address one or more of the following methodological challenges: How do we achieve high standards of comparability, accountability and replicability? How do we compare like with like in conversation? What are promising baseline contexts for comparison across languages and societies? How do we build a cumulative set of findings that can serve as stepping stones for new research? How do we deal with the distortion that comparison of distinct social and linguistic systems inevitably brings? How do we construct corpora and databases that can serve similar functions as the dictionaries and grammars of traditional typology?

We invite those interested in participating to send a 350-word abstract describing their data, research questions and methods to mark.dingemanse at mpi.nl and giovanni.rossi at mpi.nl by September 1, 2014. Please include title of paper, author name and affiliation, and contact details.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/