25.3370, Calls: Phonetics/Scotland

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 25 22:24:40 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-3370. Mon Aug 25 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.3370, Calls: Phonetics/Scotland

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Indiana U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Indiana U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:21:22
From: Hannah Little [hannah at ai.vub.ac.be]
Subject: Evolution of Phonetic Capabilities: Causes, Constraints and Consequences

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-3370.html&submissionid=35952157&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Evolution of Phonetic Capabilities: Causes, Constraints and Consequences

Date: 12-Aug-2015 - 12-Aug-2015
Location: Glasgow, Scotland, Belgium
Contact Person: Hannah Little
Meeting Email: hannah at ai.vub.ac.be
Web Site: http://www.icphs2015.info/Meetings.aspx

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics

Call Deadline: 16-Feb-2015

Meeting Description:

In recent years, there has been a resurgence in research in the evolution of
language and speech. New techniques in computational and mathematical
modelling, experimental paradigms, brain and vocal tract imaging, corpus
analysis and animal studies, as well as new archeological evidence, have
allowed us to address questions relevant to the evolution of our phonetic
capabilities.

Call for Papers:

This workshop requests contributions from researchers which address the emergence of our phonetic capabilities. We are interested in empirical evidence from models and experiments which explore evolutionary pressures causing the emergence of our phonetic capabilities, both in biological and cultural evolution, and the consequences biological constraints will have on processes of cultural evolution and vice versa. Contributions are welcome to cover not only the evolution of our physical ability to produce structured signals in different modalities, but also cognitive or functional processes that have a bearing on the emergence of phonemic inventories. We are also interested in contributions which look at the interaction between the two areas mentioned above which are often dealt with separately in the field, that is the interaction between physical constraints imposed by a linguistic modality, and cognitive constraints born from learning biases and functional factors, and the consequences this interaction will have on emerging linguistic systems and inventories.

Contributions must fit the same submission requirements on the main ICPhS 2015 call for papers page.

Contributions can be sent as an attachment to hannah at ai.vub.ac.be by 16 February 2015