25.595, Calls: Syntax/South Korea

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 5 19:52:14 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-595. Wed Feb 05 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.595, Calls: Syntax/South Korea

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews:
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 14:51:53
From: Il-Jae Lee [ijlee at kw.ac.kr]
Subject: 16th Seoul International Conference on Generative Grammar

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-595.html&submissionid=27191651&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: 16th Seoul International Conference on Generative Grammar
Short Title: SICOGG 16

Date: 06-Aug-2014 - 09-Aug-2014
Location: Seoul, Korea, South
Contact Person: Jaeryang Kim
Meeting Email: jrkim84 at gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.kggc.org

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

Meeting Description:

SICOGG 16

The 16th Seoul International Conference on Generative Grammar will take place at Dongguk University in Seoul, Korea, from August 6, Wednesday, through August 9, Saturday, of 2014. The conference will be co-hosted by the Korean Generative Grammar Circle, Dongguk University and Language Research Institute of Hankuk University of Foreign Studies.

The conference will consist of a general session, a workshop, and a series of lectures from the keynote speaker. The theme of the general session is 'Comparative Syntax'. The confirmed keynote speaker will be Professor Ian Roberts from Cambridge University, and the theme of his talk is 'Rethinking Comparative Syntax: An Emergentist Approach to Parametric Variation'.

All the information about the conference is available on our website http://www.kggc.org. Participants are asked to check this web page to keep up to date regarding possible alterations and changes. Additional questions concerning the conference can be sent to Mr. Keeseok Cho at d9501001 at hanmail.net. The local organizer is Mr. Il Jae Lee at ijlee at kw.ac.kr.

Call for Papers:

We encourage submissions touching on the theme of the general session specified above. Equal consideration will be given to papers from all areas of generative grammar, which may include syntactic theory, syntax-semantics interface, syntax-morphology interface, syntax-phonology interface, syntax acquisition, and any other syntax-related interests. Applicants for the presentation in the general session must submit the application by April 4, Friday, 2014.

The workshop will focus on the syntax of small clauses and its consequences for the interfaces. In the workshop, we will discuss how the syntax of small clauses can be understood in various languages and how we can deepen our understanding of the syntax-phonology mapping and syntax-semantics mapping in the domain of small clauses. Some specific topics may include:

1. Structure of small clauses: What is the proper structure of small clauses? How can we capture cross-linguistic variations in the syntax of small clauses?

2. Movement in and out of small clauses: Is there any movement within small clauses? Is there any sub-extraction out of small clauses?  If so, how does it get regulated in the narrow syntax?

3. Linearization of small clauses: How does the structure of a small cause get linearized in the syntax-phonology interface? What implications can we draw from Spell-out of small clauses?

4. Interpretation of small clauses: How does the syntax of small clauses affect their semantic interpretation? What is the role of event structure in licensing various types of small clauses?