25.788, Confs: English, Applied Ling, Lang Acq, Pragmatics, Socioling/Austria

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 17 18:45:41 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-788. Mon Feb 17 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.788, Confs: English, Applied Ling, Lang Acq, Pragmatics, Socioling/Austria

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews:
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:44:37
From: Mark Adams [adams at technikum-wien.at]
Subject: Integrating Language, Culture and Purpose in ESP

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-788.html&submissionid=27773751&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Integrating Language, Culture and Purpose in ESP

Date: 23-May-2014 - 24-May-2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact: Mark Adams
Contact Email: adams at technikum-wien.at
Meeting URL: http://esp.technikum-wien.at/ESP/Home.html

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Meeting Description:

As the reasons to learn English have become more specific, the challenges of making content and methods relevant for ESP students have become even greater. This conference will focus on the three components of English for Specific Purposes: language, specificity and purpose.

How can we inspire and motivate our students to reach both their personal and professional potential? In which ways can technology serve as an ESP teacher’s tool to help achieve this? How can we most effectively meet students’ specific needs for English in multicultural societies?

We will be focusing on these issues in talks, workshops and poster presentations. Every area of ESP is encouraged, including all types of engineering and technical fields, and English for business, law, management, medicine, social work, tourism, sport, etc.

By sharing a variety of strategies and approaches, we will create a forum that will enhance the professional development of teachers, materials developers, testers, course book designers and all those involved in any area of specific-purpose language teaching.