25.804, Support: Language Acquisition, Psycholinguistics/Australia

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 18 15:45:58 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-804. Tue Feb 18 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.804, Support: Language Acquisition, Psycholinguistics/Australia

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 10:45:21
From: Brett Baker [bjbaker at unimelb.edu.au]
Subject: Language Acquisition, Psycholinguistics: PhD Student, University of Melbourne, Australia

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-804.html&submissionid=27846550&topicid=12&msgnumber=1
 Institution/Organization: University of Melbourne
Department: Linguistics and Applied Linguistics
Web Address: http://languages-linguistics.unimelb.edu.au

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics
Creole Languages

PhD position - Linguistics, School of Languages and Linguistics at the University of Melbourne.

We are seeking applications for a PhD project attached to the Australian Research Council-funded project 'Learning to speak White-fella way' (CIs Brett Baker & Rikke Bundgaard-Nielsen).

'Learning to speak White-fella way' is a fieldwork-based experimental project which investigates first-language influence on the acquisition of English by speakers of Kriol and traditional Australian languages such as Wubuy.

We seek a PhD student who will adopt an experimental approach to investigate the way children of different ages (with Kriol/Wubuy background) perceive and produce English speech sounds and recognise words in Kriol and English. The project will result in information crucial to closing the educational 'gap' between children in remote indigenous communities and the rest of Australia as it will provide not only 'base-line' competence assessments at school start, but also the extent to which English-language schooling results in successful acquisition of English.

Applicants will need to meet the criteria for candidature in the PhD at Melbourne, and will need to successfully apply for an Australian Postgraduate Award (APA), if domestic, or one of the international scholarships, if from overseas. In addition to that, we are offering a scholarship top-up of $5000/year, plus fieldwork expenses and a stimulating cohort of students involved in fieldwork-based linguistic projects.

The position will be based at the University of Melbourne, Australia. Details on applying for a PhD place at Melbourne are available at:
http://cms.services.unimelb.edu.au/scholarships/pgrad

For further information or to apply, contact
Dr Brett Baker
School of Languages and Linguistics
University of Melbourne
Parkville, VIC 3010
bjbaker at unimelb.edu.au

http://languages-linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/academic-staff/brett-baker

Application Deadline: 18-Jul-2014

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Dr Brett Baker
School of Languages and Linguistics
Parkville VIC 3010
Australia

Contact Information:
	Dr Brett Baker
bjbaker at unimelb.edu.au
Phone:+61 3 9035 4687

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.