25.814, Calls: Translation, Applied Linguistics/France

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 18 17:27:22 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-814. Tue Feb 18 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.814, Calls: Translation, Applied Linguistics/France

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:27:10
From: Aimee Johansen [aimee.johansen at telecom-bretagne.eu]
Subject: GLAT - Brest 2014

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-814.html&submissionid=27773770&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: GLAT - Brest 2014

Date: 02-Jun-2014 - 04-Jun-2014
Location: Brest, France
Contact Person: Aimee Johansen
Meeting Email: glat-brest-2014 at mlistes.telecom-bretagne.eu
Web Site: http://conferences.telecom-bretagne.eu/glat-brest2014/index.php?lang=en_GB

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Translation

Call Deadline: 16-Mar-2014

Meeting Description:

'Adapting to Diversity: Interdisciplinary approaches to mediation and translation'

In our ever more connected and interconnected world, contacts are no longer limited by borders, whether geographical, professional, generational, cultural or identity-related. In these mixed contexts, which are becoming more and more common, how can we encourage effective and ethical communication between diverse populations? How can we negotiate meaning between people, institutions, and even different populations?

Mediation plays an important role in this human enterprise. But which type of mediation? There are many different categories: linguistic, intercultural, terminological, didactic, ontological, etc. Which type of mediation is used in which circumstances? How effective is it? What unexpected consequences arise? How can we apply a tried and true strategy to a different situation? What criticisms might we have of the various ways of defining mediation?

The goal of this colloquium is to investigate the different forms mediation can take when languages, cultures and disciplines meet. We will focus in particular on linguistic and intercultural mediation, where language is conceptualized as a system of symbolic mediation in diversified contexts.

Call for Papers:

Papers will be grouped into the following categories:

- The polysemy of the term 'mediation' itself, its origins, meanings and connotations; misunderstandings surrounding the term

- The relationship between mediation and specialized languages (translation, interpretation, terminology, socioterminology, etc.). Translation as an act of semiotic mediation: interpretation, reformulation, the translator’s role

- Discursive aspects of mediation (legal, economic, medical, ontological, environmental, etc.)

- Linguistic and cultural mediation and neurological processes (mirror neurons, decision making, empathy, etc.)

- Linguistic and cultural mediation and social networks (language choice, dominant vs. minority culture, etc.)

- Mediation as an expression of identity, drawing on notions of intersubjectivity, interity, '3rd place', the individual and in-betweenness, interstices, border-crossers.

- Didactic strategies for mediation (diverse student populations, interdisciplinarity, skills-based approaches, languages in teaching, language teaching, use of various tools).

Please send your 2-page summary in A4 or 8 1/2'' x 11'' format (.doc ou .pdf) in either French or English to Cathy Sablé (catherine.sable at telecom-bretagne.eu) by Sunday, March 16, 2014.

Notification of the scientific committee's decision will be sent Monday, March 31, 2014.

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.