25.822, LINGUIST List Needs Your Support

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Feb 18 21:09:35 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-822. Tue Feb 18 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.822, LINGUIST List Needs Your Support

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sara  Couture <sara at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:09:07
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: LINGUIST List Needs Your Support

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-822.html&submissionid=27846597&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Dear Colleagues,

As you all know, Helen and I retired from LINGUIST last year. It was
very hard to separate ourselves from an organization we had put so
much effort into; but we had reached the point when we could
reasonably say that a time had come when we should hand things over to
someone different, and younger. Damir Cavar was our choice, and we
are very happy he agreed to take LINGUIST over.

Because of that transition, however, there was no Fund Drive last
year, and LINGUIST now very much needs your help. It needs to make up
the shortfall so that it can continue to serve you as it has for so
many years.

I don't think I need to remind you of the services that LINGUIST
provides. It's the main place where linguists go to find jobs. It's
your source for information on new books, on the details of
conferences, on new initiatives in the discipline. More reviews of
linguistic books are published by it than by any other publication. I
doubt that any of you would be happy if all this ended.

This year is one that harbingers so many changes in LINGUIST. The
complete Multitree database and interface will be available on mobile
devices this year. The LINGUIST team is working on a complete
revision of the whole site which will make it much more efficient and
modern. This will include new versions of the site in German, French,
Chinese and Arabic.

I would like to urge you to donate to LINGUIST this year, therefore,
and preserve this organization and its work. The money is urgently
needed, and your help will be much appreciated by the entire
discipline.

The best way to contribute is through the eLinguistics Foundation. This
is a new organization that was set up last year for the express
purpose of supporting LINGUIST, and thus linguistic infrastructure for
our discipline. It then became the owner of all the intellectual
property rights to the LINGUIST name and to the websites which
LINGUIST runs. This is now a US-recognized tax-exempt 501(c)(4)
entity, and can accept donations for LINGUIST, not just through a
credit card, but also through Paypal. All such donations will thus be
tax-deductible in the US. We hope to set up similar arrangements in
other countries.

Please donate! LINGUIST needs your help!

Anthony Aristar

LINGUIST List Moderator (retired)

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.