25.880, A Letter from LL Editor Uliana Kazagashea

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 21 14:05:03 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-880. Fri Feb 21 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.880, A Letter from LL Editor Uliana Kazagashea

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 09:03:48
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: The Heart of LINGUIST List Is Its People

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-880.html&submissionid=27992436&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Dear LINGUIST List Readers,

We all know that behind everything in the world stands people. Everything in
the world was once created by someone: the phone that you have in your pocket,
the TV that you watch every day, your favorite website that you go to for the
information you need.  All that was created by people, and all that was once
just someone's idea, the idea that someone thought could one day grow into
something big.

So was the LINGUIST List.  And now it is the world's largest online source for
the academic field of linguistics. But we don't want to stop at this point. We
have many ideas on how to improve our site and make it even better and more
convenient for the linguists of the world. I know that this is true, because I
am one of the LINGUIST Listers. Let me tell you a little bit more about myself
and how I encountered the LINGUIST List for the first time.

My name is Uliana, I come from Russia and I joined the LINGUIST List as a
Graduate Assistant in September of 2012.

I visited the LINGUIST List in the fall of 2011 during my summer trip to the
USA. I got the chance to see how the LINGUIST List works from the inside and
meet the people that post linguistics jobs, build language trees for
MultiTree, create digital language maps for LL-MAP, work on lexicons for LEGO.
I was introduced to the projects, their developers and participants. Never
will I forget the first impression that I got about the LINGUIST List: it was
about the people. I met a group of highly-motivated professors and students
who strive to contribute to the word of linguistics, people who are ready to
share their knowledge with the world and learn.

And later on I got the opportunity to join this unique team and become one of
the LINGUIST Listers. So right now I work for several projects such as
MultiTree, the Endangered Languages Catalogue, and LL-MAP, I also post Job
Announcements in the Job area of the site.

I have been on the LINGUIST List team for over a year and let me tell you
something, it was one of the best years of my life! I don't remember a single
day when I didn't learn something new in the LINGUIST List. I'm surrounded by
the most enthusiastic and devoted people; each and every one of them is smart,
intelligent and creative. It is a real team - a team of people that work
really hard together to contribute every day to the development of the site
and its services with their great ideas, suggestions and work performance.
But what matters most is that together with you and other LINGUIST List
readers we create a colossal linguistics society where we can search or post
jobs, conferences and linguistics events; we can inquire about endangered
languages of the word, compare languages and language families on MultiTree
and then check those on LL-MAP and more.

And we can do all that and will be able to do even more because the LINGUIST
List is moving along with the rest of the world and we are working hard to
implement new technologies into our services. But we do need your support to
make them available for you and every other linguist.

So, I'm asking you today, please donate. Your donation will help us to improve
the LINGUIST List and its services for you and your convenience. And it
doesn't matter if what you can donate today is just $5. What matters is that
we all are linguists and we all live our academic or non-academic linguistics
world. So donating to the LINGUIST List you will contribute to the development
of the linguistics society of the world and help make it better.

Thank you for supporting the LINGUIST List!

With sincere gratitude,

Uliana Kazagashea
LINGUIST List

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.