25.1001, Jobs: Applied Ling: Asst Prof, CUNY NYC College of Technology

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 27 18:39:36 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1001. Thu Feb 27 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1001, Jobs: Applied Ling: Asst Prof, CUNY NYC College of Technology

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:39:18
From: CUNY Human Resources [na at na.com]
Subject: Applied Linguistics: Assistant Professor, CUNY NYC College of Technology, New York, USA

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1001.html&submissionid=27992685&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: CUNY NYC College of Technology
Department: Humanities
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: http://www.cuny.edu
Job Title: Assistant Professor - Communications (Humanities)
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics

Job ID: 9886
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Regular/Temporary: Regular

New York City College of Technology of the City University of New York (CUNY), a comprehensive college of nearly 17,000 students in downtown Brooklyn, offering associate and baccalaureate degrees, invites applications for a tenure-track position in Communications at the Assistant Professor level, to begin during the 2014-2015 academic year.

Communication is located in the Humanities Department, a multi-disciplinary department that also includes art history, music, and foreign languages. The position requires a commitment to teaching, scholarly research resulting in publications and presentations, sustained service to the department and college, and academic advisement. The candidate hired will be expected to participate actively in College/University-wide initiatives and function collaboratively in department level efforts, playing an active role in the creation/development/assessment of department curricula.

Performs teaching, research and guidance duties in area(s) of expertise. Shares responsibility for committee and department assignments including administrative, supervisory, and other functions.

Qualifications
Minimum qualifications are a Ph.D. in Communication and two years relevant College level teaching experience. The preferred candidate would have expertise in Health and/or Interpersonal Communication, and would join a growing team of faculty working to develop and teach undergraduate courses focused in these areas. The ideal candidate would possess experience and show interest in creating such courses, and would have relevant experience in teaching general Communication courses currently offered by the department. Research and publication are required for tenure and promotion. Applicants must have a Ph.D. in hand by the date of appointment in August 2014.

Also required are the ability to teach successfully, demonstrated scholarship or achievement, and ability to cooperate with others for the good of the institution.

Compensation
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs.  We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.

How to Apply
Visit the application website below, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title.  Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information. Candidates should provide a CV/resume and statement of scholarly interests.

Closing Date
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.  Review of resumes will begin 1/08/14.

Job Search Category
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty

Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply.  We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.

Web Address for Applications: http://www.cuny.edu
Contact Information:
	CUNY Human Resources
	Email: na at na.com

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.