25.114, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Ling & Lit, Pragmatics, Socioling, General Ling/Serbia

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 9 18:24:52 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-114. Thu Jan 09 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.114, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Ling & Lit, Pragmatics, Socioling, General Ling/Serbia

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews:
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 13:24:42
From: Biljana Mišić Ilić [bmisicilic at gmail.com]
Subject: Language, Literature, Discourse 2014

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-114.html&submissionid=25459645&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Language, Literature, Discourse 2014
Short Title: LLD2014

Date: 25-Apr-2014 - 26-Apr-2014
Location: Niš, Serbia
Contact Person: Biljana Mišić Ilić
Meeting Email: bmisicilic at gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.filfak.ni.ac.rs

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Pragmatics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Feb-2014

Meeting Description:

>From the perspective of linguistic, literary and cultural studies, with a critical and humanistic point of view in mind, we seek to explore the underlying social, cultural, cross-cultural and cross-linguistic structures, which may be assumed or played out within particular texts. In the widest perspective, to quote form a recent book, we share the belief that: '…discourse analysis is one way to engage in a very important human task. The task is this: to think more deeply about the meanings we give people's words so as to make ourselves better, more humane people and the world a better, more humane place.' (J. P. Gee, 2005)

Conference languages are English and Serbian, for 15-minute presentations followed by 5 minute discussion time.

Conference fee is 30 Euros (also payable in dinars), covering organisational costs, conference folder, refreshments during coffee breaks, buffet lunch on April 25, and snacks before the closing of the conference on April 26. Conference dinner party (10 Euros) on April 25, 2014 is optional.

Call for Papers:

On behalf of the LLD Organising Committee, it is our pleasure to send you the first call for papers containing information on the forthcoming multidisciplinary Language, Literature, Discourse conference, organized by the Faculty of Philosophy in Niš, which will be held on April 25-26, 2014.

In the past fifty years the terms ‘discourse’ and ‘discourse analysis’ have firmly established themselves as key notions in many academic disciplines, including linguistics, literary studies, communication studies, and various social sciences, reflecting the growing interest for studying language above the sentence level, in actual use, and in a variety of linguistic as well as non-linguistic contexts (situational, socio-historical, intertextual). However, despite the extent and range of research, the terms, paradoxically, remain somewhat vague and imprecise, perhaps because each discipline and subdiscipline approaches discourse analysis from the point of view of its primary focus of inquiry.

Therefore, it can never be excessive to organize a conference devoted to the study of discourses as structured bodies of spoken or written texts intended to communicate information, knowledge, views and ideas, focusing on internal relations within a given discourse as well as on external relations among discourses, and aspects of interdiscursivity.

If you would like to participate, please fill in the registration form below and submit it no later than February 1, 2014 to the following address: jkdis2014 at gmail.com.

The submitted abstracts will be reviewed and notification of acceptance will be sent by February 20, 2014. A selection of papers will be published after the conference in a peer-reviewed two-volume conference proceedings.

Application Form:

Name
Surname
Email address
Institution/University
Link with the Institution (e.g. employed, graduate student, undergraduate student)
Place/Country
Title
(PhD, MA, BA)
Position
(Full Professor, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Teaching Assistant, EFL lecturer,…)
Paper Title
Abstract (up to 200 words)

Required equipment
Planned date/time of arrival
Planned date/time of departure
Conference dinner on 25 April (10 Euros) (please underline): Yes No

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/