25.155, Calls: General Linguistics/Norway

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 10 19:02:56 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-155. Fri Jan 10 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.155, Calls: General Linguistics/Norway

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews:
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 14:02:27
From: Roksolana Mykhaylyk [roksolana.mykhaylyk at uit.no]
Subject: Empirical Linguistics at UiT

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-155.html&submissionid=25819311&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Empirical Linguistics at UiT

Date: 18-Jun-2014 - 21-Jun-2014
Location: Tromsø, Norway
Contact Person: Laura Janda
Meeting Email: laura.janda at uit.no
Web Site: http://uit.no/prosjekter/prosjektsub?p_document_id=220486&sub_id=355542

Call Deadline: 15-Feb-2014

Meeting Description:

Three events in the service of empirical linguistics will take place at UiT, the Arctic University of Norway in June 2014.

On June 18, we will launch the TROLLing website, a searchable archive of linguistic data and statistical code designed to support empirical research on languages worldwide.

On June 19, we will hold a workshop on the grammatical profiles of verbs based on corpus studies, with emphasis on morphological marking of verbal categories and the behavior of verbs (see the call for submissions attached).

On June 20-21, we will host the Kognitivt sommerseminar, the conference of the Norwegian Cognitive Linguistics Association (NORKOG). The working language for this conference is Norwegian (plus other Scandinavian languages).

In order to plan appropriately, we ask everyone who plans to attend the Verb Profiling Workshop to register. There is no registration fee, but we ask all comers to fill out a registration form so that we can plan appropriately.

Deadline for registration: May 20, 2014

Note: Be sure to book your flights and hotel early. Tromsø is a popular destination during the midnight sun season.

Call for Papers:

Verb Profiling Workshop

“A grammatical profile is the relative frequency distribution of the inflected forms of a word in a corpus” (Janda and Lyashevskaya (2011) Cognitive Linguistics 22(4)).

The Verb Profiling Workshop addresses the grammatical profiles of verbs and their relationship to categories such as tense, aspect, and mood. One of the projects presented at this workshop focuses on the grammatical profiles of verbs in four languages that differ in their morphological marking of aspect and Aktionsart on verbs: Czech (which marks aspect), North Saami (which marks Aktionsart), Russian (which marks both), and Norwegian (which marks neither). The four languages project is part of the “Birds & Beasts” project supported by the Norwegian Research Council and involves colleagues connected to the Russian National Corpus, the Czech National Corpus, and Giellatekno.

In addition to the four languages project, we are soliciting presentations from other researchers working on the behavior of verbs, preferably also using grammatical profiling or similar measures. Please send an abstract (max 500 words) to: grammatical.profiles at gmail.com.

Deadline for abstracts: February 15, 2014
Notification of acceptance: March 15, 2014

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/