25.344, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition/Canada

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 21 15:05:55 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-344. Tue Jan 21 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.344, Calls: English, Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition/Canada

Moderator: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews:
Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Bryn Hauk <bryn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:05:20
From: Jaime Demperio [demperio.jaime at uqam.ca]
Subject: Meeting on English Language Teaching

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-344.html&submissionid=26468012&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Meeting on English Language Teaching
Short Title: MELT 2014

Date: 25-Apr-2014 - 25-Apr-2014
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Contact Person: Jaime Demperio
Meeting Email: melt at uqam.ca
Web Site: http://www.melt.uqam.ca/call.html

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Jan-2014

Meeting Description:

The Successful Adult Second Language Learner

What is necessary for adult language learners to succeed in the learning process? Are there factors that make success more likely? What are the inhibitors? We are interested this year in sharing ideas and current research on this issue.

MELT 2014 will focus on adult language learners (i.e. university, college and CEGEP) and the impact of the following factors on their language learning:

- Motivation
- Critical period
- Technology
- Cross-linguistic influences
- Learning styles
- Ultimate attainment
- Learner strategies/instruction style
- Feedback

Invited Speakers:

Dr. Lydia White, McGill University
Dr. Laura Collins, Concordia University

Detailed program available March, 2014.

2nd Call for Papers:

Though the conference is primarily aimed at English language acquisition, we welcome presentations concerning the role of these factors in the acquisition of other languages.

Talks will be 30 minutes long, followed by 10 minutes of discussion. We ask that the abstracts be at most two pages long (including bibliography), font size 12, and one inch margins. Each abstract should be submitted in two copies, .pdf format, to melt at uqam.ca (please include 'abstract' in the subject heading of the email). One of these abstracts should be anonymous.

Abstracts and presentations may be in English or French.

Abstract deadline: January 31, 2014
Notification of acceptance: Mid-February