25.2774, Summer Schools: Cognitive Processes in Copying a Text / Stavanger, Norway

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 1 20:55:59 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-2774. Tue Jul 01 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.2774, Summer Schools: Cognitive Processes in Copying a Text / Stavanger, Norway

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Malgorzata Cavar <gosia at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2014 16:52:08
From: Jacob Thaisen [jacob.thaisen at uis.no]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-2774.html&submissionid=34663340&topicid=16&msgnumber=1
 Cognitive Processes in Copying a Text

Host Institution: University of Stavanger
Coordinating Institution: University of Stavanger
Website: http://www.uis.no/forskning-og-ph-d-studier/ph-d-utdanning/kurs-og-emner/emner-paa-lesevitenskap/

Dates: 03-Nov-2014 - 07-Nov-2014
Location: Stavanger, Norway

Focus: The focus of the course is on exploring cognitive processes involved in copying written text. It is informed by research on how language users comprehend and produce oral or written text, as well as on how the combination of language comprehension and production is reflected in the task of copying written text.
Minimum Education Level: MA

Special Qualifications:
The course is open to students enrolled in a doctoral programme, in Norway or elsewhere, but the number of places is limited; we reserve the right to reject applicants.

We will discuss insights into production and comprehension behaviour gained from psycholinguistic experimentation using modern tools of investigation, such as eye tracking and key logging. We will then address the question of what cognitive constraints might operate on a person as they copy written text. We will do so by drawing on existing work in historical linguistics/philology which has explored the nature of linguistic variation found in scribal copies of medieval texts. In particular, our focus will be on how large a segment of text is being held in working memory and recalled from it in the process of copying, and whether the size of this segment may be affected by the linguistic features of the text being copied and/or the non-linguistic features of the copying situation. The course will thus offer new interdisciplinary ways of linking historical linguistics/philology and psycholinguistic research.

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                      General Linguistics
                      Historical Linguistics
                      Psycholinguistics

Subject Languages: English

Language Families: Germanic

Tuition: 0 USD

Tuition Explanation: Participation is free. Participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodation costs and arrangements.

Registration: 30-Jun-2014 to 01-Oct-2014

Contact Person: Jeanette Rollheim
                Email: jeanette.rollheim at uis.no

Apply on the web:
 http://www.uis.no/forskning-og-ph-d-studier/ph-d-utdanning/kurs-og-emner/emner-paa-lesevitenskap/

Registration Instructions:
To apply for a place, fill in the registration form available from

http://www.uis.no/forskning-og-ph-d-studier/ph-d-utdanning/kurs-og-emner/emner-paa-lesevitenskap/

Click on 'Søknad om opptak til ph.d.-kurs ved Universitetet i Stavanger'. Send the application to Jeanette Rollheim jeanette.rollheim at uis.no.

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/