25.2877, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Researcher/Scientist, Nuance Communications

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 9 17:31:02 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-2877. Wed Jul 09 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.2877, Jobs: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Researcher/Scientist, Nuance Communications

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Andrew Lamont <alamont at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 13:30:32
From: Craig Robertson [Craig.robertson at nuance.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Researcher/Scientist, Nuance Communications, Ghent, Belgium

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-2877.html&submissionid=35115538&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Department: Reserach & Development
Job Location: Ghent, Belgium
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com
Job Title: Language Engineer
Job Rank: Researcher; Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics

To strengthen our Research and Development team in Merelbeke, near Ghent, Belgium, we are looking for a linguist with strong project management skills and experience in quality assurance. The ideal candidate has a background in text-to-speech (TTS) and has worked on commercial speech products. Strong methodological skills and an interest in process design are a must. You will learn about the latest innovations in spoken language technology and oversee the quality of language and voice data releases for Nuance’s flagship text-to-speech system, Vocalizer.  The technology you will work on is deployed in the majority of cars and speech-enabled mobile devices on the market today, and is used by global enterprises and healthcare providers. We offer a dynamic, international work environment with rapid growth and a global reach.

Key responsibilities:
- Analysis, monitoring, and improvement of release processes for the Vocalizer TTS product line
- Design of tools and metrics to track progress in pronunciation accuracy and perceptual quality
- Development of linguistic components for various languages and tasks, including text normalization, morphological analysis, syntactic analysis, and prosody prediction
- Adoption of data-driven techniques and NLU approaches to refine or replace rule-based approaches
- Improvement of processes for testing and evaluation of linguistic components
- Responding to reported issues reported from deployed systems, analyzing, fixing and releasing
- Managing improvement and customization projects of various scope and team sizes
- Number of Years of Work Experience: At least five years of professional experience are required

Required Skills:
- The successful candidate is a team player and a fast learner with an analytical mindset and a pragmatic approach to problem solving
- Project management
- Quality assurance
- Process design
- Computational linguistics
- Phonetics
- Ability to work in distributed teams
- High proficiency in written and spoken English

Preferred Skills:
- Mathematical background and understanding of statistical learning techniques
- Experience with automatic speech recognition (ASR), natural language understanding (NLU), and Machine Learning
- Experience with version control systems (e.g. hg, svn)
- Scripting and programming skills in Python, Perl, or an equivalent programming language
- Native proficiency in a non-European language

Education:
- MSc in linguistics, computational linguistics, computer science, or equivalent

We offer a competitive compensation package and a casual yet technically challenging work environment.  Join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team and become part of our fast growing track of continuing success.  Nuance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

If you are interested in joining our team, please send your English CV including earliest starting date and salary expectations via our career home page (below) or via the application email below, reference 1-11121.

Email Address for Applications: Craig.robertson at nuance.com
Web Address for Applications: http://www.nuance.com
Contact Information:
	Craig Robertson