25.3011, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics/Belgium

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Jul 22 19:13:46 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-3011. Tue Jul 22 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.3011, Calls: Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics/Belgium

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 15:13:30
From: Makiko Takekuro [mtakekuro at waseda.jp]
Subject: Discourse and Discordance

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-3011.html&submissionid=35493618&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: Discourse and Discordance

Date: 26-Jul-2015 - 31-Jul-2015
Location: Antwerp, Belgium
Contact Person: Makiko Takekuro
Meeting Email: mtakekuro at waseda.jp

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 15-Sep-2014

Meeting Description:

In pragmatics, a considerable amount of research has been conducted to reveal ways in which we express linguistic politeness by minimizing face-threatening acts and interpersonal friction. But however much we attempt to be cooperative and polite with others, conflicts arise on many levels of our lives and therefore discourse on conflicts is necessary. Here, conflicts exist due to the discrepancy between what is expected and what actually happens. In this panel, we call such a discrepancy 'discordance' and broadly define it as 'awareness of a lack of agreement, harmony, or conformity.' As a large body of literature on, for example, disagreement indicates, discordance is not uncommon and there is still much to explore.

In the panel 'Discourse and discordance: Linguistic, pragmatic, and sociocultural strategies for aaccordance,' we will examine discordance from semantic, pragmatic, and paralinguistic points of view and in the sociocultural and historical context. Discordance becomes apparent and recognized if participants express awkwardness linguistically or paralinguistically. However, as in Gumperz's 'contextualization cues' (1982), it is most often implicit, not tangible, and can be overlooked in the course of communication. In this panel, we aim to demonstrate that certain genres of communication (for example, mass media or narratives on myth) explicitly identify and express the discrepancy between what is expected and what actually happens, and they form metapragmatic discourse by creating an ideological gap.

Call for Papers:

We invite papers that are theoretically integrative or empirically grounded, on any aspect of discordance and similar phenomena. Questions to explore include but are not limited to:

1) When does discordance occur and how does it become problematized or negotiated discursively?
2) How and when does a small difference or misunderstanding turn into an intensified and uncompromising conflict?
3) How does discordance become the trigger for the kind of metapragmatic discourse that characterizes contemporary sociocultural practices?
4) Can we find linguistic, pragmatic, or sociocultural strategies for accordance?

Panel presenters are encouraged to use different disciplinary approaches based on diverse language data.

If you are interested in presenting a paper in this panel, please send your abstract (maximum 500 words, without including references and data) by September 15, 2014 to: mtakekuro at waseda.jp.