25.3089, Calls: Modified: General Linguistics/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 30 18:37:11 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-3089. Wed Jul 30 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.3089, Calls: Modified: General Linguistics/Germany

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Anna White <awhite at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 14:34:44
From: Rita Finkbeiner [finkbein at uni-mainz.de]
Subject: DGfS 2015 - AG 2: Exact Repetition in Grammar & Discourse

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-3089.html&submissionid=35644899&topicid=3&msgnumber=1

Full Title: DGfS 2015 - AG 2: Exact Repetition in Grammar & Discourse

Date: 04-Mar-2015 - 06-Mar-2015
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact Person: Rita Finkbeiner, Ulrike Freywald
Meeting Email: repetition at uni-potsdam.de
Web Site: http://conference.uni-leipzig.de/dgfs2015/index.php?id=9

Call Deadline: 31-Aug-2014

Meeting Description:

DGfS 2015 Leipzig - AG 2: Exact repetition in grammar and discourse

Organizers: Rita Finkbeiner (University of Mainz) & Ulrike Freywald (University of Potsdam)

Most linguists will agree that iteration is a pervasive phenomenon in language and an important notion for linguistic analysis. Traditionally, the process of repetition is related to the domains of text and discourse, and associated with specific pragmatic effects (e.g., emphasis), while the process of reduplication is restricted to the domains of phonology and morphology, and associated with specific semantic effects (e.g., intensification).

In phonological and syntactic theory, reduplication has mainly been discussed as a local copying process, while in typology, it has been described as a morphological marker of inflection or word formation. Repetition phenomena, in contrast, have been claimed to apply above word level. In interactional linguistics, the focus has been on functions of repetition such as marking of agreement and disagreement.

In recent years, however, one has come to realize that the borderline between reduplication and repetition is rather fuzzy (Stolz et al. 2011). For example, in contrastive focus reduplication (e.g. salad-salad 'prototypical salad'), it is not quite clear whether we have to do with a 'grammatical' or rather a 'pragmatic' process. Moreover, while most European languages traditionally have been regarded as lacking reduplication altogether, there is now evidence that there are niches of productive (total) reduplication also in alleged 'reduplication avoiders' such as German, English, and French (Finkbeiner 2014, Freywald (in prep.), Rossi 2011).

Invited Speakers:

Laurence R. Horn, Yale University
Thomas Stolz, Bremen University

2nd Call for Papers:

The workshop aims at bringing together linguists interested in the phenomenon of exact repetition, understood broadly as the complete iteration of items on all levels of linguistic description, including phonology, lexicon, syntax, text, and discourse.

Studies on the acquisition and change of exact repetition are very welcome, as are descriptive studies of exact repetition in various languages, registers and genres.

Special attention will be paid to languages traditionally regarded as reduplication avoiders.

>From a theoretical point of view another focus of interest is to refine the notions of reduplication and repetition in order to deepen the understanding of the borderline between these two phenomena.

We invite contributions dealing with these or other suitable topics. Both empirical and theoretical approaches are welcome.

Abstract Submission:

- Please send an anonymous abstract to repetition at uni-potsdam.de
- Name(s) of author(s) and affiliation(s) should be specified only within the email
- The abstract should not exceed 400 words, excluding references and examples

Important Dates:

Deadline for submission of abstracts: 31 August 2014
Notification of acceptance: 10 September 2014

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/