25.2490, Qs: Experimental Field-Linguistics Survey

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Sun Jun 8 18:57:38 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-2490. Sun Jun 08 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.2490, Qs: Experimental Field-Linguistics Survey

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

          http://multitree.linguistlist.org/

Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 14:57:20
From: Sonja Eisenbeiss [seisen at essex.ac.uk]
Subject: Experimental Field-Linguistics Survey

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-2490.html&submissionid=33987458&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

We are currently conducting a survey that is aimed at (i) fieldworking linguists who carry out experiments as part of their research and (ii) experimental linguists who carry out research outside the traditional laboratory context or study under-researched languages for which the usual psycholinguistic resources are not available (lexical databases, corpora, collections of culturally appropriate picture materials, etc.). The questions focus on ethics, cross-culturally appropriate methods, and technology, three notoriously difficult things for experimental field-linguists.

We will use the results of this survey for teaching and research materials, publications, and improved services for our resource website and blog (http://experimentalfieldlinguistics.wordpress.com/).
Please help us by completing the survey and spreading the word!

survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NX3VK7K

For any questions regarding this questionnaire or our website, please contact Dr. Sonja Eisenbeiss, Department of Language and Linguistics, University of Essex. E-mail: seisen essex.ac.uk.

Note: Claire Bowern has kindly made her questions from her survey for the 2010 paper in “Language” available to us and we have used some of these questions. Birgit Hellwig, Naledi Kgolo, Katrin Skoruppa, and Silke Paulman have given me lots of comments on an earlier draft of the survey. Thank you!

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Discipline of Linguistics
                     General Linguistics
                     Language Acquisition