25.2628, Qs: Turkish nom-acc case-marking optionality

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 18 15:58:40 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-2628. Wed Jun 18 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.2628, Qs: Turkish nom-acc case-marking optionality

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:58:09
From: Becky Chu [bchu at u.rochester.edu]
Subject: Turkish nom-acc case-marking optionality

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-2628.html&submissionid=34287459&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hello Linguists,

I just recently read a paper about the dependent accusative case-
marking of object nouns in Turkish language, and I found it
particularly interesting because I was informed that Turkish
case-marking is always present and not optional. Yet, Dr.
Kilicaslan's 2006 paper (A situation-theoretical approach to case
marking semantics in Turkish) suggests otherwise.

I intend to conduct some language-learning research evaluating
transfer effects of case-marking and planned to use Turkish
because we thought its case-marking system was non-optional. For
my experiment that seeks to investigate the role of L1 knowledge
on learning case in a new L2, we need to have a qualitative
estimate of the informativity of case-marking in simple
transitive sentences. That is, we are curious to know a) how
often themes in simple transitive sentences are case-marked
(leaving pronouns aside) and b) how often that case-marking is
unambiguous (i.e. there is no case-syncretism with the nominative
marker).

I am very curious and would appreciate if you would kindly reply
to these questions. Any pointers you could provide in this
direction would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax

Subject Language(s): Turkish (tur)