25.2630, Disc: Linguists collaborating with non-linguists

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 18 18:07:21 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-2630. Wed Jun 18 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.2630, Disc: Linguists collaborating with non-linguists

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>
            Malgorzata E. Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <gosia at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org
Anthony Aristar <aristar at linguistlist.org>
Helen Aristar-Dry <hdry at linguistlist.org>
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Alex Isotalo <alx at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:07:02
From: Crispin Thurlow [crispin.thurlow at ens.unibe.ch]
Subject: Linguists collaborating with non-linguists

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-2630.html&submissionid=34287424&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Hello.

For a possible panel in Hong Kong and roundtable in Switzerland, I'd be grateful to hear from/about linguists who have first-hand experience of collaborating/consulting with non-academic ''language workers'' - people for whom language is the central vehicle and product of their work (e.g. advertisers, lawyers, journalists). To this end, I'm drawing a tentative distinction between scholars who study workplace discourse and those working directly with professionals on language-based projects. It's the second of these that I am interested in hearing about/from. I'm open to a range of workplace settings and languages (especially where professional language workers manage multilingual contexts).

Details of the round-table are yet to be finalized, but the panel is envisaged for the June 2015 Sociolinguistics of Globalization conference at Hong Kong University:

http://www.english.hku.hk/events/slxg2015/

By responding to my message, you are in no way obliging yourself to participate in either event.

In anticipation, many thanks.

Crispin Thurlow

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Applied Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Forensic Linguistics
                     Sociolinguistics