25.1219, Let's Welcome Our Next Featured Linguist for 2014: Doug Biber

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 11 16:07:36 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1219. Tue Mar 11 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1219, Let's Welcome Our Next Featured Linguist for 2014: Doug Biber

Fund Drive 2014
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:06:59
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: TraveLING Along with Featured Linguist Doug Biber

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1219.html&submissionid=28725017&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Today we are traveLing to Western North America with our Featured Linguist
Doug Biber from Northern Arizona University. Read below about his life journey
that led him to the field of linguistics.

How I Became a Linguist by Doug Biber

In grade school, no one would have ever guessed I’d grow up to become a
linguist – I was the kid who got Cs in French and couldn’t produce a trill to
save my life! I went to university majoring in civil engineering - relieved
that there was no language requirement for that major. But I ended up
switching to geophysics, thinking that it would be less restrictive than
engineering, and that it would allow me to spend more time in the mountains
(which turned out to be wishful thinking).

Two things happened during my undergraduate education that got me interested
in academic research, and specifically linguistics. The first was a technical
writing course, where I was shocked to learn that the point of writing was to
tell the reader something that they didn’t already know. (I had believed up to
that point that the reader – of course, an instructor – always already knew
the correct answer, and so the point of writing was just to impress the
reader.) And the second was an introduction to English syntax course, where I
discovered that analyzing language could be really fun!

After a year and a half working as a geophysicist, I got laid off – and used
the severance pay to go into a graduate program in linguistics at the
University of Texas. After graduation, I ended up getting a 3-year position
coordinating a Somali mother-tongue literacy program in the NE Province of
Kenya. That experience shaped my world view, but also gave me the opportunity
in my spare time for firsthand experience doing linguistic fieldwork. I was
especially interested in working on Somali phonology and dialect variation.

Towards the end of that time, I started to think about PhD programs in
linguistics. Luckily, around the same time, I had sent a paper that I had
written on Somali focus markers to Larry Hyman at USC – a really scary
prospect for me, given Larry’s stature in the field of African linguistics. Of
course, Larry responded with extremely helpful comments, and also facilitated
my going to USC for my PhD.

While at USC, I gradually shifted my research interests from phonology and
African linguistics to patterns of (socio)linguistic variation. I had a
background in computer programming, and so I got a full-time staff position as
a programmer at the university computer center. But I was somehow blissfully
unaware of corpora or anything called ’corpus linguistics’ – and I had no
thought that I might be able to apply my programming skills to any useful
research questions in linguistics. In fact, during early stages of my
dissertation research on the linguistic characteristics of speech and writing,
I spent hours counting linguistic features by hand in texts! Then one day my
dissertation chair – Ed Finegan – showed me an article that he had been
reading about corpora, and suggested that I could apply my programming skills
to corpus analysis for my dissertation research. Ed helped me obtain
university funding to purchase the Brown Corpus - and helped to launch a
30-year linguistic research agenda involving corpus analysis.

Doug Biber

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.