25.1308, And we are off to North Africa and Middle East!

linguist at linguistlist.org linguist at linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 18 15:12:42 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1308. Tue Mar 18 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1308, And we are off to North Africa and Middle East!

Fund Drive 2014
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:12:18
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: And we are off to North Africa and Middle East!

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1308.html&submissionid=29238833&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Region 5 | North Africa and Middle East | Fund Drive 2014

Greetings! Today we’ll be boating down the Nile River through the Egyptian
countryside and linguistic history! Our first stop is the Valley of the Kings,
containing over 60 royal tombs including the famous King Tutankhamun.

The tombs are decorated with hieroglyphs, the well-known, partially alphabetic
writing system which either descended directly from Sumerian Cuneiform or
merely borrowed its concept. Hieroglyphs and Cuneiform are the oldest known
writing systems. Our alphabetic system and virtually all other alphabets in
use ultimately derive from the Phoenician Alphabet (technically an abjad). A
short boat trip down the Nile brings us to Wadi el-Hol, the Ravine of Terror.
The graffiti carved into the valley date back 3,800 years and represent some
of the earliest known ancestors of the Phoenician Alphabet!

After a rather long trip down the Nile, we’ve arrived at the Giza Necropolis,
home of the Great Sphinx and the Great Pyramid of Khufu, the only remaining
wonder of the ancient world. Now we’re heading to Cairo, Egypt’s capital, to
see some smaller pieces of history.

This museum houses over 120,000 artefacts encompassing Ancient Egyptian
history. Within this incredible collection are 11 mummies, including the
famous King Tutankhamun. The museum also has an extensive collection of
papyrus documenting Greek, Latin, Arabic, and Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs.

Finally, we’ve arrived in Rosetta, a port city on the Nile Delta. It was here
that the famous Rosetta Stone was discovered by an French expedition in the
early 1800s. The stele recorded a decree of King Ptolemy V in hieroglyphs,
Demotic (a later development of the script used for papyrus), and Ancient
Greek. This bilingual document was the key for Western scholars’ understanding
of hieroglyphs.

Before we leave Egypt, let’s sit down for what many consider to be Egypt’s
national dish, Kushari. Kushari is a typically vegetarian dish of rice and
lentils topped with pasta, fried onions, and tomato sauce. It was originally
made by lower class families combining whatever food they had left at the end
of the month into one dish. Today, you can find it in nice restaurants and
even from food carts.

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.