25.1410, Confs: Syntax, Semantics, Phonetics, Phonology, Psycholing/France

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 24 18:35:50 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1410. Mon Mar 24 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1410, Confs: Syntax, Semantics, Phonetics, Phonology, Psycholing/France

Fund Drive 2014
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Xiyan Wang <xiyan at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 14:35:03
From: Dominique Legallois [dominique.legallois at unicaen.fr]
Subject: 28th CerLiCO International Conference

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1410.html&submissionid=29459419&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

28th CerLiCO International Conference
Short Title: Cerlico

Date: 13-Jun-2014 - 14-Jun-2014
Location: Caen, France
Contact: Valérie Amary
Contact Email: crisco.cerlico at unicaen.fr
Meeting URL: http://www.crisco.unicaen.fr/28th-CerLiCO-International.html

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Syntax

Meeting Description:

28th CerLiCO International Conference
Caen, France
13-14 June 2014
Linearity and Interpretation: 1 - Interpreting the Perception of Linearity

The issue of the linear ordering of linguistic forms is both a long-standing and far-reaching one, spreading across the fields of linguistics. Saussure was the drive behind our representation of language as being linear. However, recent psycholinguistic research (Sauzet and al. 1999) challenges this perception of linearity.

Our linear perception of written or spoken units appears to be misdirected, in so far as it is at odds with both our senses and the laws of physics. In fact, recent research shows that sounds are not a string of consecutive units but instead that they overlap (Liberman 1996). As far as the written page is concerned, it has been proven that our eyes do not process one letter after the next. Although our linear perception is undeniable, the surface arrangement of linguistic units is a topic that requires further insight.

The Conference, which will be held in Caen (Normandie University, UNICAEN), aims to address the new data and to expand on some of the following issues:

1) What is meant by the linear ordering of constituents? Are there various ways of viewing the surface order of oral or written items?
2) Is our interpretation linear? Is our perception of forms linear or non-linear? How can we connect perception, whether linear or not, with interpretation? In other words, what kind of relation can be established between interpretative processes and word order? Do we need discrete units and categorization to be able to interpret data?
3) What impact does the perception of linear ordering have on grammatical analysis, and notably in didactics? The parsing of units produced by grammatical analysis such as IC-analysis is not linear. Therefore, it goes against the principle of sequencing. Is discreteness synonymous with interpretation or does it only represent a stage of the interpreting process?
4) What relation can be established between linearity and interpretation in terms of language typology? Can diachrony shed new light on the issue, notably relating to the phenomenon of grammaticalization?

All theoretical frames are welcome, provided they are specified.

Program:

Friday June 13

9h-9h30
Registration

9h30
Opening address: Pierre SINEUX, Vice-chancellor of the University of Caen

Chair: Emmanuelle ROUSSEL (CRISCO – University of Caen)

9h50-10h30
Lise HAMELIN (LDI - Cergy-Pontoise) & Pauline SERPAULT (CRISCO – Caen)
Position et valeur de l’adverbe en anglais : l'exemple de yet

10h30-11h10
Danh Thành DO-HURINVILLE (SeDyl - INALCO) & Huy Linh DAO (LACITO – Sorbonne Nouvelle)
L’ordre des constituants dans le syntagme nominal vietnamien : Cái entre classificateur et focalisateur

Coffee break

11h30-12h30
Keynote talk : Edy VENEZIANO (MoDyCo - Paris Descartes)
Théorie de l'esprit et compétences pragmatiques chez l'enfant :  Quelle place pour la linéarité dans leur développement ?

12h30-14h
Lunch break

Chair: Pierre LARRIVEE (CRISCO – University of Caen)

14h-14h40
Katja PLOOG (LLC- Elliadd - Besançon)
La grammaire émergente dans le discours en temps réel. Enjeux syntaxiques et sémantiques

14h40-15h10
Cécile YOUFSI (SeSyLIA – Sorbonne Nouvelle)
Linéarité et compositionalité au sein des constructions prépositionnelles GN1 + PREP + GN2 en anglais contemporain

15h10- 15h50
Gabriela-Violeta ATHEA (Professional linguist)
Regard sur la lecture des documents numériques

Coffee break

Chair: Catherine COLLIN (LLING – University of Nantes)

16h20-17h00
Augustin NDIONE (L.L.L. - Tours)
De la linéarité dans les formes rédupliquées

17h00- 17h40
Yann PORTUGUES (L.L.L. - Orléans) & François NEMO (L.L.L. - Orléans)
Non-linéarité syntaxique et caractère fractal de l’interprétation, approche en termes de contraintes contributionnelles

18h00 AGM

20h00
Conference dinner

Saturday June 14

Chair: Gilles COL (FoReLL – University of Poitiers)

9h30-10h10
Sylvie HANCIL (ERIAC – Rouen)
Perceiving and interpreting sentence-final adverbials: an iconic view

10h10-10h50
Nathalie HERVE (Centre d’Etudes Métriques – Nantes)
Perception(s) de la linéarité dans les textes poétiques.

Coffee break

11h20-12h
Salam DIAB DURANTON (SLE – Vincennes – Saint-Denis)
Linéarité et interprétation dans le lexique de l’arabe

12h-14h
Lunch break

Chair: Valérie AMARY-COUDREAU (CRISCO – University of Caen)

14h-15h
Keynote talk: Ivanka STOÏANOVA (MUSESCREA - Paris 8)
De la linéarité en musique : Ecriture et interprétation

15h-15h40
Mathilde PINSON (SeSyLIA – Sorbonne nouvelle)
Linéarité et interprétation de like

15h40-16h20
Jan PEKELDER (CeLiSo – Paris-Sorbonne)
Le Principe d'Inhérence revisité. Linéarisation des compléments d'objet direct et de direction en néerlandais contemporain.

16h20
Closing address: Frédéric LAMBERT, President of the CerLiCO

For further information, please do not hesitate to contact us at:

crisco.cerlico at unicaen.fr

 Or visit our websites at:

- http://www.unicaen.fr/

For registration:

- http://www.crisco.unicaen.fr/

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.