25.1481, TraveLING Along with Featured Linguist Barbara Citko

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 27 16:18:52 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1481. Thu Mar 27 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1481, TraveLING Along with Featured Linguist Barbara Citko

Fund Drive 2014
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Uliana Kazagasheva <uliana at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 12:18:27
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Let's Welcome Our Next Featured Linguist for 2014: Barbara Citko

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1481.html&submissionid=29533178&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

During our Fund Drive, we have been traveling to different areas of the world
and introducing you to featured linguists in those regions. So today our new
Featured Linguist is Barbara Citko from the University of Washington. If you
are eager to learn how Barbara became a linguist, please read her story below.

How I Became a Linguist by Barbara Citko

How did I become a linguist? I think I took a road many linguists take, which
is via a study of a foreign language. In my case it was good old English,
which I started studying when I was seven. And, as they say, the rest is
history. This is how I got interested in crosslinguistic variation, and the
idea that there are well-defined limits to this variation. Well, maybe this
came a bit later, although I have always liked to think of myself as a
precocious linguist.

I grew up in Gdynia, Poland during what I consider to be one of the most
interesting periods in Poland's history. Gdynia, like Gdańsk, perhaps its
better known neighbor, also had a big shipyard, and these shipyards were
places where the Solidarity movement started. Both of my parents were members
of Solidarity; my father worked in the Gdynia shipyard. This meant that
strikes, martial law, curfews were very close to home, not something you heard
about on the news or learnt about from history books. Maybe this experience
didn't help me become a linguist, but it certainly shaped me as a person.

I went to an English high school and majored in English philology as an
undergraduate in college (first at the University of Poznań and then
University of Gdańsk, both in Poland). It was in Poznań where I first got
exposed to Chomskyan linguistics. I still remember my first syntax course,
pouring through Radford's textbook and being utterly fascinated by the beauty
and simplicity of Subjacency Principle. I know, I am dating myself here.

I came to the States in 1994 and got a PhD in linguistics from Stony Brook
University in 2000. My dissertation was on free relatives, and I have been
interested in what we might call non-canonical wh-constructions:
across-the-board wh-questions (What did Peter write and Bill review?),
questions with coordinated wh-pronouns (What and where did John sing?),
multiple wh-questions (Where did John sing what?) and various types of
relative clauses ever since. In my research, I tend to focus on Polish, my
native language, hoping to contribute to our understanding of the syntax of
Slavic languages and, more generally, to our understanding of which aspects of
language are universal and which ones are not and why this might be the case.

Over the years I have been influenced and inspired by so many great linguists,
all of whom would be impossible to name here. But I do want to acknowledge my
first syntax teachers, Przemysław Tajsner and Jacek Witkoś from the University
of Poznań, and my undergraduate advisor from the University of Gdańsk, Piotr
Ruszkewicz, and thank all the faculty from Stony Brook University, in
particular, Richard Larson, my dissertation advisor, for making graduate
school such a wonderful and memorable experience!

After graduating from Stony Brook I spent one year as a visiting assistant
professor at the University of Utah, one year at the University of Connecticut
and two years at Brandeis University, before joining the Linguistics
Department at the University of Washington in 2005, which is where I have been
since. It goes without saying that I would not even have known about these
positions without the Linguist List, let alone have applied for them, let
alone have gotten any of them. I also wouldn't have known about countless
conferences, books, journals; all the things that help us keep up with the
field. In other words, without the Linguist List I wouldn't be the linguist
that I am today. Thank you, guys, for everything you're doing!!!

Barbara Citko

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.