25.1487, A Final Look at Eastern Europe

The LINGUIST List linguist at linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 28 14:28:21 UTC 2014

LINGUIST List: Vol-25-1487. Fri Mar 28 2014. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 25.1487, A Final Look at Eastern Europe

Fund Drive 2014
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

Moderators: Damir Cavar, Eastern Michigan U <damir at linguistlist.org>

Reviews: Monica Macaulay, U of Wisconsin Madison
Rajiv Rao, U of Wisconsin Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin Madison
Mateja Schuck, U of Wisconsin Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin Madison

Amazon!

Editor for this issue: Sarah Fox <sarah at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 10:28:11
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: A Final Look at Eastern Europe

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=25-1487.html&submissionid=29533239&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Region 6 | Eastern Europe | Fund Drive 2014

Welcome back! Today I will be guiding you through the beautiful country of
Bulgaria. There is plenty of things to do here. But first let’s try to recall
what we know about Bulgarian, the official language of the country.

As many of you might already know, Bulgarian is the oldest written Slavic
language, it is distinguishable from the languages in this group through
certain grammatical peculiarities such as the lack of noun cases and
infinitives, and a suffixed definite article, and the lack of a verb
infinitive; however it retains and has further developed the Proto-Slavic verb
system. And just like Russian, Bulgarian uses Cyrillic script.

And by tradition, hot linguistics news from Bulgaria! For the first time, the
annual meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL) took
place in Bulgaria. ACL 2013 was held in Sofia, Bulgaria's capital, August 4-9,
2013. As in previous years, the program of the conference included a poster
session, tutorials, workshops and demonstrations in addition to the main
conference.

Did you know that Bulgaria is actually one of the few centers of computational
linguistics in Eastern Europe? So now it’s time to meet our linguistic
colleagues from Linguistic Modelling Department (LMD) at the Institute of
Information and Communication Technologies (IICT), Bulgarian Academy of
Sciences. LMD is the computational linguistics center, whose kernel was
preserved during the last twenty five years as one administrative and
scientific unit. LMD staff members successfully switched from the older
Eastern academic style to collaboration on project basis with major European
research institutions. Today the group is active in a number of advanced CL
fields including both development of linguistic resources and implementation
of software applications.

Let’s move forward and attend the Faculty of Slavic Studies at the St. Clement
of Ohrid University of Sofia where we can say “hi” to our fellow linguists at
the Department of General, Indo-European and Balkan Linguistics as well as the
Department Slavic Linguistics and Departments of Bulgarian and Russian
Languages.

Sofia is one of the most visited traveler’s destinations in Bulgaria, so since
we are still Sofia, let’s not miss that chance and take a walk through the
city.

We are going start with the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral, one of the symbols of
Bulgaria, constructed in the late 19th century. It occupies an area of 34,100
square feet and can hold up to 10,000 people.

Sofia concentrates the majority of Bulgaria's leading performing arts troupes.
Theatre is by far the most popular form of performing art, and theatrical
venues are among the most visited, second only to cinemas. The oldest such
institution is the Ivan Vazov National Theatre, which performs mainly
classical plays and is situated in the very centre of the city.

For those of you who like to shop, the Mall of Sofia is the best shopping
center to go to. Located at the intersection of Aleksandar Stamboliyski
Boulevard and Opalchenska Street, the Mall boasts more than 130 stores, a
number of restaurants and cafés as well as the first in Eastern Europe 3-D
IMAX movie theater.

Food:
Shopska salad, also known as Bulgarian salad, is the salad that defines
Bulgaria. Not only is it the most popular Bulgarian salad but is also named
after a big group of very frugal people called shopi who live in Sofia.
Shopska salad is made from chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and peppers
sprinkled with Bulgarian white cheese.

Banitsa (Bulgarian: Баница, also transliterated as banica and banitza) is a
traditional Bulgarian food prepared by layering a mixture of whisked eggs and
pieces of cheese between filo pastry and then baking it in an oven. Banitsa is
a symbol of Bulgarian cuisine and traditions.
The word "banitsa" is used as a simile for something (mainly documents and
paperwork) crumpled, or badly maintained. For example, a police officer can
make a remark to someone about letting his or her passport "become like a
banitsa" (станал е на баница); a teacher might say this about a student's
notebook.

Mineral water is huge in Bulgaria. Bulgaria is a country with many mineral
springs scattered across the entire country. It's cheaper to buy a bottle of
mineral water than a bottle of regular purified water. It's healthier too. The
level of mineralization and the temperature of the mineral water differs
across the country's regions. Drink it right from the bottle.

Thank you for traveLING through Eastern Europe with us! It was only a slice of
a big picture, but I hope you enjoyed our little trip. If you would like to
explore the rest of Eastern Europe on your own, check the list of the other
possible destinations below. Have fun and stay tuned for the more exciting
trip days with our TraveLING Around the World Fund Drive Tour!

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $75,000. This money will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out Fund Drive 2014 site!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2014/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at https://linguistlist.org/donation/donate/donate1.cfm

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to: https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by check, money order, PayPal or wire transfer, please visit: http://linguistlist.org/donation/

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.